Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ready for a Challenge? >

Ready for a Challenge?

Ready for a Challenge?

Old 03-02-2014, 01:47 PM

How fun and I love the photos! This is my newest sample creation that I'm thinking of turning into a bigger quilt. I sewed strips of background fabric, FMQ it then FMQ'ed circles onto it. No fusible, just some starch on the circles. I got a new circle ruler and wanted to try it out. Then I washed it to see how badly it frayed. That's why it's so wrinkly!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 02:45 PM

Great job ladies! Doesnt it just feel freeing? Like the whole world is at your feet and you can do ANYTHING!

Oh I strongly encourage anyone who hasnt tried a challenge before to set one for yourself. It doesnt have to be "hand piece a dear jane" or anything too involved....could be "I am so NOT an orange person, so my challenge is to make an orange mug rug!" See, it is possible.....and once you do.....oh the feeling! Come on ladies, lets cut the strings and fly!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:08 PM

I totally agree with Carolyn ! A Challenge does not have to be extreme !! A challenge does not even have to be a challenge. It may just be trying something in a new way, or trying a new product, or new brand of a product you already use ! Or using something you already use in a different way then usual, or as intended ! Break out of your comfort zone, in baby steps if it is easier, but take that first step, then take another ! If you need to go back to the comfort of the box , do it, but don't let the fear of the unknown stop you from trying again !
Old 03-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

Some great work here...I love your attitude "SlightlyOffQuilter". I am persevering with machine quilting my DIL's string quilt....got it half done and thought it stank so am busy "ripping" and re-stitching, it's a little wobbly in spots but I'm not giving up.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:32 PM

See, I think that those of you who rip are far tougher than I ! I honestly do not think I have ever ripped out any quilting , other than small minor spots that had loops on the back from tension issues . I have yet to make a " show quilt " , so every thing I make, is made for comfort and made with love, and made from ME. I tell everyone, that if they ever see a perfect quilt, they can be sure that I did not make it !

I don't strive for perfection, because perfection is unattainable. I strive for happy. And I go into every single thing I do with one very simple thought. This is a learning experience. I don't care if I have made the same pattern so many times I can do it with my eyes closed, I will always try to do something new. take a step, sometimes baby ones, sometimes huge astronaut leaps. It depends on how adventurous I am feeling.

We learn by making mistakes. You just need to make that mental switch to LET yourself accept them, learn from them, and do it better on the next one !