Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Really Need your Help! >

Really Need your Help!

Really Need your Help!

Old 02-09-2016, 03:40 PM

Maybe I missed it, but I don't understand what he wants repaired. Is it just the pictures that need to be replaced? In the picture, it doesn't look like the fabric has worn. Just a another thought, if you can just sew new picture blocks over the worn ones, as someone suggested, you might then restore it more to the original maker's by tying it and not quilting and binding it. It may feel more familiar and comfortable to him that way. And I don't think it is that difficult to transfer pictures to fabric. There is fabric made for that purpose. June Tailor is one brand that comes to mind. This is very nice of you to take on this project and best of luck to you.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:31 AM

Looks like you are getting some good ideas here on the Board. Isn't it amazing how sometimes people think just because you have a sewing machine and you can sew, you are able to do magic. I'm sure you will make this fellow very happy with his "fixed" quilt.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:38 AM

I had a memory quilt that I made that I had to replace a picture because of a divorce and remarriage.

What I did was to print a new picture on the special paper (ink jet printer, paper from JAs) and then I put double sticky paper (not sure what it is called; used for appliqué) and ironed it over the old picture. Worked well and saved taking the quilt apart.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
Maybe I missed it, but I don't understand what he wants repaired. Is it just the pictures that need to be replaced? In the picture, it doesn't look like the fabric has worn. Just a another thought, if you can just sew new picture blocks over the worn ones, as someone suggested, you might then restore it more to the original maker's by tying it and not quilting and binding it. It may feel more familiar and comfortable to him that way. And I don't think it is that difficult to transfer pictures to fabric. There is fabric made for that purpose. June Tailor is one brand that comes to mind. This is very nice of you to take on this project and best of luck to you.
I would also tie instead of quilting. He wants it restored, not changed.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:10 AM

My daughter recently wanted me to repair a quilt that was extremely worn, the top fabric has just worn away in many of the blocks. No way to take quilt apart. Luckily it was a simple nine patch block. I just made new blocks, match the original fabric as much as possible, use a backing on the new blocks that I could sew around like a pillowcase, right sides together than turned right side out & appliques the new blocks over the worn ones.
It had been one of the first quilts I made 20 years ago, didn't know much about quilting/fabric, etc. Luckily the backing & batting had held up & just needed a little patching. But she was sentimental about it, making a new quilt would have been easier.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:21 AM

Look for digital camera stores. The one in my area (eastern PA)showed 8x10 pics charging $10 a pic.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:54 AM

Look up Spoonflower to print the photos. You may need to make a collage of them to get the most economical printing possible. Spoonflower has good instructions on their website about sizes and how to upload the photos. The basic cotton fabric on Spoonflower will work well for quilting. There are other services that are like Spoonflower so you could look them up as well.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:00 AM

What an assignment! Do post when you have figured out what to do and have done it.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:03 PM

If you have the pictures, you can have them printed on fabric or you can do it yourself. I'm not sure I would take the old pictures out. I might applique them over the old ones, perhaps a 1/4" larger and use a decorative stitch to attach. This might make it a bit more secure than cutting the old one out and inserting new. If you can remove the old batting and replace it with a thinner (maybe even a warm and natural) batting, it might make it a bit sturdier. I'm just throwing out ideas as they poop into my head with the common base of this quilt getting heavy use and probably washed often. I'm sure whatever you come up with, it will be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Siodach View Post
Hi, am I right in understanding that you have the original photo files to use? If so, why not print these again on new fabric and recreate the quilt with new clear photos - but then use this for a replacement backing for the original top.

That way the lad would have both the clear photos to view, and the original top for the sentimental value part.

Just a thought.....

Cheers, K
I like this idea. He would have the best of the old and the new. Restoration doesn't mean making a new quilt. I'm sure he wants his old quilt for sentimental value.