Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommendations for a sewing machine for classes and retreats >

Recommendations for a sewing machine for classes and retreats

Recommendations for a sewing machine for classes and retreats

Old 11-20-2014, 06:05 AM

Depends on the features you want. I would not purchase from WalMart....they were carrying cheaply made Brothers, no steel frame, plastic...and they do not provide any back up or service. They make you go to the mfg. then you might as well toss it due to shipping costs. A good used Janome from a dealer would work well. I have a 3160 and now a 4120....but I have to have the auto thread cutter for class. Most of the time I am doing piecing in these classes...so the thread cutter and knee lift are important...these two machine are 11 lbs. Start with your local dealer.
Also check out allbrands.com.......they usually have some great buys for $300 and under....plus no sales tax and most of the time free shipping.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:58 AM

Brother has 3 on sale now, the one I am getting from Santa does 70 stitches and it is $199, this is going to my BOM classes for my teacher makes fun of my featherweight and it only does a straight stitch but I love my featherweight and her two sister I own. The other two on sale are $ 169 and $149 if my memory is correct all these are at our local Brother shop. I want a Brother scan and cut does anyone have one and do they like it?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:59 AM

I purchased a small Janome at Hancock's for $49 when on sale. It does straight and zigzag, uses a 1/4 inch
featherweight foot. I can lift it with 2 fingers which is important as I have multiple bulging discs.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Consider picking a machine that's the same brand as your main machine, so that bobbins and possibly also feet will be interchangeable.
This is absolutely right on. Wish I had considered doing so.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:58 AM

Somebody mentioned a Singer 99, and I love mine, but I certainly wouldn't call it lightweight. That thing is like a boat anchor!!

A couple of places to check out that nobody seems to have mentioned. Overstock.com has some great deals on machines; I bought an embroidery machine and a serger from them. Get on their e-mail list because they send frequent discounts that can generally be used on anything. Another source you might check is wawak.com. They also frequently discount machines.

And just because I feel compelled to mention this every time the subject comes up... this was verified by someone on this very board who called directly to a manufacturer. The idea that machines made for big-box stores or for home shopping networks are made differently is a MYTH. Thus, a Brother is a Brother.... a Singer is a Singer... and so forth. They're all made in the same factories. You may find slightly different models of machines in different places, but it would be cost-prohibitive for manufacturers to set up different factories, one with cheaper materials. So if anybody tells you that (including a dealer) it's bunk.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:33 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. I will let you know what I get ... when I get one. Again, Thank you
Old 11-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=DonnaC;6977111
And just because I feel compelled to mention this every time the subject comes up... this was verified by someone on this very board who called directly to a manufacturer. The idea that machines made for big-box stores or for home shopping networks are made differently is a MYTH. Thus, a Brother is a Brother.... a Singer is a Singer... and so forth. They're all made in the same factories. You may find slightly different models of machines in different places, but it would be cost-prohibitive for manufacturers to set up different factories, one with cheaper materials. So if anybody tells you that (including a dealer) it's bunk. [/QUOTE]

You are exactly right. There are specially ordered models made, like the Project Runway machines that may have a specific set of features or come in pretty colors, but they are still made just the same. The machines for the most part that the big box stores carry are typically the lower end machines that the dealers don't want to carry in their stores because they make their money off the high end machines. In my area the only time any of the dealers have low end machines in the store is around Christmas time. Unless a model is an exclusive for HSN or whoever, a dealer can order any of the models the big box stores or other vendors sell. They just don't want to. It's all about the benjamins.

As for the comment made about Walmart machines not having a steel frame, do some research. You'll be very surprised to learn which low end machines have a full frame in them and which high dollar machines don't.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 11-21-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:47 AM

I agree with Sewnoma. My big machine and my travel machine are both Brothers.