Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recycle Prom Dress >

Recycle Prom Dress

Recycle Prom Dress

Old 04-27-2014, 10:03 AM

Stuffed Christmas ornaments with bead details, table runners, binding for quilts, detachable collars & cuffs, applique patches, handbag lining, tiebacks for drapes, backing for beading, a hair ornament, cloth flowers with a pin back (google for tutes on this), make a unique belt, a man's vest, miniature quilts...just a few ideas. Satin is wonderful matched with other luxurious items such as lace, velvet, brocades, gimp, ribbon, cording, beads etc., Looking at Victorian decor may give you more ideas. Just have fun!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:09 AM

This dress is simple classic floor length. Around here the super long dresses are popular this year, especially if it's something that fits into the "Great Gatsby" theme. This is plain, no sequins or sparkles etc so it really wouldn't fit into any trends. A cocktail dress would have been more to my liking but i may not be young enough to pull that off anymore.
It would be nice if i can find somewhere to donate it too. I quick search online only showed places that are very far from me.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:19 AM

Thanks adamae! More great ideas. I forgot i was full of knowledge that would help me out.

Years ago i made a ton of christmas ornaments out of a pair of ripped velour pants. They were paper folded german bells that i covered with the fabric. Those ornaments are just about unusable. I think there was another ornament shown on this board somewhere with folded fabric that looked like quilted stars.

So many great ideas for when im at the thrift store shopping for recycled fabric. I love to buy clothes that won't sell because of things like rips and stains. The guy that runs our local shop knows what i'm there for and he makes sure he puts things out on the racks even if he doesn't think anyone will buy them. I might.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:20 AM

Make your self a satin pillow case. They are great for saving the hair-do.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:30 AM

Head over to a Local High School and talk to the Guidance Office to see if there is a gal who might need a Dress. Make sure its been cleaned. and offer to adjust it if the gal needs it to fit better... This is prom season.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
You may feel it should be retired after the event you are attending, but it may just make the day of a young woman who cannot afford a prom dress.

Check in your local community most have a group that collects dresses for those who cannot afford them.
Or perhaps used as a costume at a local theater or school drama department. It seems a shame to try to think of things to do with pieces of a dress when lots of girls could probably use a whole one.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by adamae View Post
Stuffed Christmas ornaments with bead details, table runners, binding for quilts, detachable collars & cuffs, applique patches, handbag lining, tiebacks for drapes, backing for beading, a hair ornament, cloth flowers with a pin back (google for tutes on this), make a unique belt, a man's vest, miniature quilts...just a few ideas. Satin is wonderful matched with other luxurious items such as lace, velvet, brocades, gimp, ribbon, cording, beads etc., Looking at Victorian decor may give you more ideas. Just have fun!!!
I agree with this lady completely! It is important to add that this fabric takes a little special handling because it is ravels and it requires knowledge of pressing and needle or thread requirements other than regular fabrics for a nice result. I recommend you do a little reading and your project will come out like you want it to. No matter what you decide to make.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

That is like putting clothes in a yard sale that have stains or tattering or worn spots. If you wouldn't wear it for those reasons why would you expect someone else to wear it. If it isn't something that can be remade into an updated style then let little ones use it for play or use it in a crazy quilt.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Theater idea is great. They are always looking for material or other donations to help with costumes.
Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
Or perhaps used as a costume at a local theater or school drama department. It seems a shame to try to think of things to do with pieces of a dress when lots of girls could probably use a whole one.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
That is like putting clothes in a yard sale that have stains or tattering or worn spots. If you wouldn't wear it for those reasons why would you expect someone else to wear it. If it isn't something that can be remade into an updated style then let little ones use it for play or use it in a crazy quilt.
I agree. One night covering my body has pushed this dress beyond it's limits. I am still looking into fixing it up and donating it but as of right now i cant even find a place in my area to have it cleaned. I don't understand how there's no dry cleaners here!