Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recycle Prom Dress >

Recycle Prom Dress

Recycle Prom Dress

Old 04-26-2014, 06:12 AM

Default Recycle Prom Dress

Tonight i will be attending an adult prom event to raise money for a local charity. Ever since i bought my dress it has been driving me crazy about what i will do with it afterwards. I don't get dressed up often and don't have a need to keep it. I bought it at a consignment shop and i think it should be retired after one more use.

It's a burgundy satin that has a bit of weight to it. I already figured i can recycle the light weight satin from the inside layers for a slip but i don't want to trash the rest of the fabric.

Have any of you used fabrics like this in quilts?
Old 04-26-2014, 06:42 AM

What color is it? If it matches any of your home decor you could make some pillows. Small pieces would make nice Pin cushions. Or if you have little ones (or know any little girls that still play dress up) you could recycle for a play dress for them. I can just see a group of little ones having a tea party.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:45 AM

You may feel it should be retired after the event you are attending, but it may just make the day of a young woman who cannot afford a prom dress.

Check in your local community most have a group that collects dresses for those who cannot afford them.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:46 AM

Crazy quilts lend themselves to these type of fabrics. And depending on your area, some charities would take them for donating to young ladies going who would like to go to thier Proms but can't offer a dress.

Here are a few examples I found on search:
http://www.donatemydress.org/
http://charity.lovetoknow.com/Cinder...Dress_Donation
http://www.kidzworld.com/article/658...to-your-rescue

It is just an idea....

Tricia
Old 04-26-2014, 06:48 AM

i've not made one ,but a crazy quilt would be pretty
with snippets of lace and hand embroidery
Old 04-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

My sister had a prom as her house warming party. I got to be prom queen! It was a hoot!
I agree with the poster who said you might want to donate the dress to a charity, but a crazy quilt with embroidery, lace and other lux fabrics would be great too!
Old 04-26-2014, 07:43 AM

I thought about donating it so maybe i should consider it longer. This dress isn't gently used though. I just needed something appropriate at a reasonable to me price.

I tend to sit on things like this a while and make sure i won't do anything i will regret later. I live in an area where there are a lot of less fortunate people and there aren't enough people donating to good causes. One time there was a prom dress drive and i was shocked at some of the awful things people donated. I'm not talking about missing some beads or needs a couple stitches, there were dresses that worn torn badly or too dirty to clean. I worked at a thrift store for a while and it was the same thing there but fortunately there are some people out there like me who will buy unusable items and cut away the bad spots and work with whats left over.

I do love the crazy quilt idea. I am hoping to get a machine that has some decent embroidery type stitching for something along those lines. My hand stitching is awful.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:47 AM

I also thought of pillows or a crazy quilt. What about doll clothes like Barbie formals?
Old 04-26-2014, 09:00 AM

I saw 'aprons' made out of old style prom dresses! Real cute, but I don't know when I would need such a fancy apron!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:11 AM

I made a quilt using bridesmaid satin as part of the quilt. (I did the alterations on 2 of the dresses and had quite a bit cut off the bottoms!). So a surprise wedding quilt for the bride! The quilt was white, batiks, and this blue slippery satin in the blocks. I did use a lightweight iron-on stabilizer on the satin as it was not only slippery, but very ravelly.