Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recycled bed skirt

Recycled bed skirt

I will use the skirt fabric for binding or something else. But what can I do with the white mesh material that the skirt was attached to?? Seems a shame to throw it away. Maybe a backing for something. I guess I will stuff it away and wait for inspiration from others, Please!
    Thanks
    Marsha

dd
    I have used mine to make patterns with. Usually when I'm not sure what I'm doing and wanted to use something cheap.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

I would use it for foundation piecing.

Quote Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
    I would use it for foundation piecing.
    I second this, it is light weight and very stable, at least the ones I have.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Or you could use it for backing on white applique pieces because sometimes the backing shows thru them...or you could make a laundry bag for fine washables....or you could make quilt sandwiches for trying new quilt designs....
    oh my, I'm on a roll here....lol

Don't wash/dry it. I've washed bedskirts and the stuff has shriveled in the dryer. I use cold water, but don't know what hot would do. It doesn't seem to like to be ironed. Use it for test scraps or a fitting muslin if you sew.

Junior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    I have bought pillow protectors that were made from the same material, if you feel so inclined to sew a zipper on it. I just use the zippers from the old pillow protectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
    Don't wash/dry it. I've washed bedskirts and the stuff has shriveled in the dryer. I use cold water, but don't know what hot would do. It doesn't seem to like to be ironed. Use it for test scraps or a fitting muslin if you sew.
    Good point, but I would argue that you should definitely wash and dry it. If you're going to use it for foundation piecing (which was what popped into my mind), you want to be sure it will provide a good foundation. It would be a shame if it shriveled up, taking your top fabrics with it.

Good idea! I've taken the flannel lining from old drapery and used it for batting, but hadn't thought of using my old bed skirts in quilts.
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

Can be used for filler material for pillows, dolls, doggie beds or pin cushions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast