Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Red Snapper ?? >

Red Snapper ??

Red Snapper ??

Old 11-26-2016, 04:18 AM

Default Red Snapper ??

Wondering if any of you have the Red Snapper loading system for your long arm??
Do you like using it better than pinning?
Is it worth what you paid for it?
Where did you purchase it and what did it cost?
If you use a different loading system what kind and how much was it?
Does anyone ever put these things on Sale?

Many thanks in advance....
Old 11-26-2016, 04:30 AM

I love my Red Snappers. It is so much quicker and less painful than pinning. I think it takes some hand strength when you start. They loosen up but are stiff at first. That is something to consider if you have hand weakness. I use them on the backing. I lightly pin the top at the top edge and float the bottom of it. I would definitely recommend them. I have had them several years so I cannot remember exactly how I bought them. I think I went through the maker's website.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

I also purchased them thru the website (Renae Hadden???). As glassnquilts mentions, they can be a bit stiff, especially if they are cold. I always use them on the take up roller. I can use the table that you lay your pantographs on to apply the clamp strip. I also cut one of the clamping strips into 1.5 to 2 inch pieces and sometimes use the short pieces instead of the long one. Because I'm applying the clamp on a table, it's easy to get the top of the backing on straight. The bottom, not so much. I have a hard time getting the clamp on without the table and keeping the backing even. I eventually removed the rod from the bottom leader and just pin that. Just using it on one of the leaders still saves me a bunch of time. I think Nancy's Notions carries them, so with a coupon or site wide sale you can get them a bit lower. If you use the search option above and search this site, you can find posts where folks have developed home grown versions using inexpensive materials from the hardware store.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-26-2016 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I love my red snappers! So much faster than pinning was. I purchased mine from my machine dealer when I upgraded/ bought my new longarm
Old 11-26-2016, 05:32 AM

I paid $79 for a set. I tried them for awhile but ended up selling them. I couldn't push hard enough and it felt like I needed 3 hands. So it felt like I couldn't get the quilt on accurately.
I know people who swear by them. I was swearing at them.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:35 AM

Ditto on what everyone says. I love my red snappers, so much easier, especially after they get limbered up. Some people say to use a hair dryer to make them more pliable at first. Got mine from my dealer the same time I got my LA.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:27 AM

I think my Red Snappers are the best add-on I have gotten for my frame! I let my first set go when I sold my Gammill and had another set ordered before the Innova was delivered! They can be a bit snug when you first get them, but they loosen up with use. I use the heel of my hand against the belly bar as I don't have as much hand strength as I used to. Renee Haddadin is the inventor/dealer and you can find her at http://www.quiltsonthecorner.com/
Old 11-26-2016, 07:48 AM

I have the "Leadergrip" system, very similar to the Red Snapper system. I really like them and wouldn't do without them.
As noted by others, the grip part is a little stiff at first, but what I did was buy a length of dowelling and put the lengths of gripper on them to slightly stretch them out a bit before using - that really helped to make them easier to put on. I just put a length on the dowelling and left it for a few days before I wanted to use it. After awhile, I'd managed to use the dowelling on all the rods.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SandySews View Post
Wondering if any of you have the Red Snapper loading system for your long arm??
Do you like using it better than pinning?
Is it worth what you paid for it?
Where did you purchase it and what did it cost?
If you use a different loading system what kind and how much was it?
Does anyone ever put these things on Sale?

Many thanks in advance....
I use red snappers always with my Innova. Yes, they are sometimes hard to push on especially if you have medical issues making it harder. Put the tiny snappers on first, keeping your top in place. Then put on the longer one and remove the tiny ones as you do. I put the longer snappers on starting and one end working over step by step to the other end. I have also pinned and used zippers on other people's longarms. If I would not use red snappers I would use zippers, I think. I bought them with my longarm from my dealer.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 11-26-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:16 AM

I have Leadergrips (very similar) and absolutely love them. I can't imagine having to pin my backing. The Leadergrips are easy to use, very fast and hold my quilt backing steady and secure. A set was $80 Canadian and worth every penny!