Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: Regretting buying a used Bernina record 730.... trade to Juki?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    18

    Regretting buying a used Bernina record 730.... trade to Juki?

    So I just bought a used Bernina record 730 yesterday for $280 but it didn't come with the carrying case, table, feet, and all the other accessories... I thought it was a pretty good price and the machine works very well. But when I got home and started a project (a coin pouch) the machine would sometimes not pick up the thread and stuff.. and the knobs and stuff are a little stiff. So now Im kind of regretting getting it! I also looked at a Juki HZL-35z and the HZL-27z. THey were both awesome!! The 35 was $295 I think and the 27 was $245. So the prices were generally the same. Well what do you guys think? Go for the new machine with all the accessories n stuff, or old used Bernina? I also was thinking that parts and servicing for the Juki's will be cheaper right? So please help me!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by happinessbears View Post
    So I just bought a used Bernina record 730 yesterday for $280 but it didn't come with the carrying case, table, feet, and all the other accessories... I thought it was a pretty good price and the machine works very well. But when I got home and started a project (a coin pouch) the machine would sometimes not pick up the thread and stuff.. and the knobs and stuff are a little stiff. So now Im kind of regretting getting it! I also looked at a Juki HZL-35z and the HZL-27z. THey were both awesome!! The 35 was $295 I think and the 27 was $245. So the prices were generally the same. Well what do you guys think? Go for the new machine with all the accessories n stuff, or old used Bernina? I also was thinking that parts and servicing for the Juki's will be cheaper right? So please help me!
    Firstly if you bought the machine froma dealer/ shop i would take it back as it clearly isn't working correctly sadly bernina accessories are extortionate so I can see why a seller would hang onto things to use for the newer machine if they upgraded but that makes the machine not such a good deal.

    I personally think berninas are overcomplicated and overpriced. I have always bought my main sewing machine new. I have had two Pffafs and one brother. the brother was computerised the others not. I love my non computerised Pfaff. it is aworkhorse, and it doesn't have a mind of it's own.

    I also have an embroidery Machine. I have had three second hand ones I bought from the brother dealer. they were trade ins from people upgrading and were known to be hardly used.... until I got may hands on them!!! I ran the first two into the ground and now I have a galaxay whoch is also a sewing machine. I had to use it as a sewing machine when I knocked out the timing on my pfaff two days before my City & guilds submission deadline. I broke 3 needles within two minutes becasue it kept parking the needle and hitting the 1/4 inch foot. (see mind of it's own!)

    So if buying secondhand I would really only buy from a dealer where you have some immeadaite support and comeback unless you know the person you are buying from and know what it's history is.

    Always check what it comes with and if those are the acessories you need. Also be aware of the replacement cost of the items you are going to need.

    becks

  3. #3
    Super Member Mitch's mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,261
    Will the shop take the Bernina back? When you posted about your machine I thought it had everything with it for that price. Take an your Grandmother or you parents with you when you go back to the shop.

    Juki's are good machines, Juki's history is industrial machines so they know what they are doing. My dream serger is a Juki. Good Luck.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Rockford, ND
    Posts
    1,487
    i agree with cheezythequiltmaker. they are overpriced and complicated
    and for people who do more with there machines.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    534
    Blog Entries
    1
    i would bring the machien back to the dealer. as you had said yesterday...sewed perfectly at the dealer's, then when you got it home, played with the settings, and now having a problem. i would ask the dealer to help you operate the machine correctly. and if not able, to return it. i would also do this NOW and not later. while his memory is still fresh about the sale....

    i would also ask your parent(s) or grandma to go with you. sometimes having an adult back you up is a good thing.

  6. #6
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,748
    Quote Originally Posted by happinessbears View Post
    So I just bought a used Bernina record 730 yesterday for $280 but it didn't come with the carrying case, table, feet, and all the other accessories... I thought it was a pretty good price and the machine works very well. But when I got home and started a project (a coin pouch) the machine would sometimes not pick up the thread and stuff.. and the knobs and stuff are a little stiff. So now Im kind of regretting getting it! I also looked at a Juki HZL-35z and the HZL-27z. THey were both awesome!! The 35 was $295 I think and the 27 was $245. So the prices were generally the same. Well what do you guys think? Go for the new machine with all the accessories n stuff, or old used Bernina? I also was thinking that parts and servicing for the Juki's will be cheaper right? So please help me!
    It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks, if you're not happy with it take it back. You're the one using it, it needs to fit you. Jukis are great machines too.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
    Will the shop take the Bernina back? When you posted about your machine I thought it had everything with it for that price. Take an your Grandmother or you parents with you when you go back to the shop.

    Juki's are good machines, Juki's history is industrial machines so they know what they are doing. My dream serger is a Juki. Good Luck.
    Im 99% sure she said i have one month for free repairs and to bring it back... But Im still not sure... What should I do if she says no??

  8. #8
    Super Member Neesie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,077
    That's why you should take an adult with you (in case she should say "no"). If it's a reputable store, she has a LOT to lose, by saying "no," only a day after a purchase.
    Neesie


    By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

  9. #9
    Senior Member stefanib123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    645
    You'd be surprised to learn how many times "no" does not mean "no", LOL! Ask for a higher up if they absolutely say no, a manager, etc. Sometimes a salesperson won't have the authority to issue a refund, or the skills to deal with it. Most managers/owners don't want an unhappy customer.

    Quote Originally Posted by happinessbears View Post
    Im 99% sure she said i have one month for free repairs and to bring it back... But Im still not sure... What should I do if she says no??

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    18
    Thats good to know.. My parents will come with me and my dad is a very good negotiater.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.