Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Regretting buying a used Bernina record 730.... trade to Juki? >

Regretting buying a used Bernina record 730.... trade to Juki?

Regretting buying a used Bernina record 730.... trade to Juki?

Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 AM

I'm sorry to hear you don't like the Record 730. I was just 19 when I bought this same sewing machine. I know I had a little instruction on it .... but mostly from the manual.

As for Bernina's being complicated to use ... I never found this one complicated, pretty simple with just a few knobs; but maybe the newer, computerized ones are harder to learn.

Good luck with getting your $$$$ back and finding a machine that will work for YOU!!!

jody
Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Joset View Post
i agree with cheezythequiltmaker. they are overpriced and complicated
and for people who do more with there machines.
I agree, but this bernina has much potential!! The only problem is the lack of accessories which are expensive to purchase.. Would negotiating with the dealer to add in extra accessories make this any better?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I love the old Bernina's, but it sounds to me as if this 730 is not going to meet your needs. I would take it back and trade in for something that is more immediately satisfying to you. You can always buy a vintage Bernina again later on!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:35 AM

If you are going to be using it a lot you will need the accessories and as happinessbears said they can be very expensive. I would trade it back for one you are very comfortable with.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:23 PM

I don't know anything about Bernina's except what I have gleaned from the internet. I have never sewn on one, although I would love the chance! My biggest concern is about parts for the 730. Are parts available after market? I know Bernina doesn't support the 730 any longer. I do hope they will take back the machine with a full refund toward another machine or repair the Bernina and maybe toddle into the backroom and find the accessories that go with it..
Old 06-29-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
I don't know anything about Bernina's except what I have gleaned from the internet. I have never sewn on one, although I would love the chance! My biggest concern is about parts for the 730. Are parts available after market? I know Bernina doesn't support the 730 any longer. I do hope they will take back the machine with a full refund toward another machine or repair the Bernina and maybe toddle into the backroom and find the accessories that go with it..
Very good news! I went to the store today and decided to give the Bernina (which I've now named Q-tip) one last chance. The mechanic fixed my machine (it was the thing behind the bobbin and my needle was too high) and also put in a new lightbulb and everything. The dealer and I together, we searched around the shop for feet and such for the machine and we were lucky to find about 10 bobbins, a pack of needles, the knee lift , zigzag presser foot, and a walking foot! Yay!! Although that wasn't everything, it was really great and she gave me everything free of charge
Old 06-29-2012, 06:06 PM

That's great news! Now, it's time to go make friends with Q-tip!
Enjoy!!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:13 PM

Oh, I'm soooo glad you are keeping Q-tip You will love this machine. I've always found it very easy to use!!! Keep us updated on how you like it!!

jody
Old 06-29-2012, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by jj1150 View Post
Oh, I'm soooo glad you are keeping Q-tip You will love this machine. I've always found it very easy to use!!! Keep us updated on how you like it!!

jody
Ok so I know this is a teeny bit off subject but does anybody know any good sewing projects that I can do that can kind of get me aqquainced with my machine? Ps I don't have any quilt batting, felt, or zippers on me right now! So anything that doesn't involve that will be nice. Thanks so much
Old 06-29-2012, 06:28 PM

How about some log cabin pin cushions? You will be needing some and they make good gifts. Do a google search for free pin cushion patterns. Or make a table runner and use it as a dresser scarf on your chest of drawers. Make a pillow case I'm sure there are free pattern directions.