Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • removing smoke from a quilt >
  • removing smoke from a quilt

• removing smoke from a quilt

Old 09-03-2012, 02:23 AM
    Power Poster

when my mom brought me her quilt to enter in the fair i had to wash & dry it 3 times...with detergent in the wash- with fabric softener in the rinse to finally get rid of the smoke smell we also hung it outside in the sunshine & breeze for about 12 hours - which faded the odors but did not get rid of them- which caused the washing/drying. smoke is (greasy) and clings/saturates the fibers- it is difficult to get rid of without (aggressive) laundering
    Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 AM

its 1 cup per load and we used gain detergent we had to learn this the hard way after my dmil had a small house fire. it really works though. the fire wasnt huge but we thought everything was lost because we couldnt get the smoke smell and residue out of everything. we persevered and youd be surprised what you can clean up.
    carla
    Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 AM

You might try one of the products sold to eliminate pet odors. I have cats and have used Odo-Ban and other brands to eliminate odors. If you can't wash the item why own it?
    Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM

I had a quilt given to me that reeked of smoke but didn't know it until I got it home- no wonder it was not just tied but twisted knot in the plastic bag. I got the drying rack and hung it outside for three days and nights-weather did cooperate. When the smell had almost left, I filled my laundry tub half way with very warm water, half a cap of Free & Clear laundry detergent, and a cup of Borax- swishing with the handle of my toilet brush. Put the quilt in and let it soak all night (for about 15 hours).Right away you could see the smoke discoloring the water. Next morning I drained the laundry tub and put quilt into the washer. Added a full cap of Free & Clear laundry detergent and a half cup of Borax washing on cold this time at the longest cycle. No dryer sheets or perfumed detergent- I wanted that smell out of the quilt. Used the same method for moth balls, too and it worked. Good luck.
    Old 09-03-2012, 04:33 PM

The easiest way I know to remove odors is the Febreeze Laundry Odor Eliminator. I use it frequently on my aunt's clothing (she is 85, in a nursing home, and as you can imagine, her clothing is sometimes almost beyond recall). It works for that, so I imagine it would work on cigarette smoke!

Jeanette Frantz
    Old 09-03-2012, 04:52 PM

Wash with lots of warm water ( High effieciency washer will not do the trick) , 1 cup clear vinegar, and a mild laundry soap.