Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retail quilts >

Retail quilts

Retail quilts

Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

It wasn't that long ago that sweat shops were operating in the United States.

Or the child labor laws enacted.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 AM

I think they are comparable to furniture that's available. There's mass produced versus that quality made. We havve some Amish made and some that my husband made

If a person doesn't know qaulity, they're 'good enough' but to someone who does, they're not really worth any amount
Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 AM

Several years ago I was asked to repair a purchased quilt I am not sure where it was sold originally but almost every seam had pulled out. This one was very poorly stitched and one small piece of fabric had worn out in several places I would much rather make a whole quilt than attempt this sort of job again. She said she had only washed the quilt one time and it came apart like this the colors were still good but the construction was not. I too have seen these quilts offered at very low prices much cheaper than we can make them ourselves but since than have not been tempted to buy one I want mine to last.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
I don't have anything against what I call Chinese quilts (because they're made in China). But I get cranky with people who ask me to make them a quilt and expect to pay me $40 or $50, because that's how much they'd pay for one at Target.
I agree. These types of quilts set people up with a false sense of how much time and money it takes to make a quilt. They don't understand what goes into a quilt. When I make a quilt there are countless hours thinking about the person I'm making it for. There is alot of love put into the gift.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
These people are making a living also, Even tho their wages are low so is their cost of living. I am ready to make quits from my stash for $20.00 because for the last two years I have been unemployed and not able to find a job. Unemployment only lasts so long and there is no medical for me either. I am not sure what I am going to do now We just had our car totaled so I am without a car and live in the country. I do not agree with slave labor either, but that is what I would be doing.
Hang in there Up North. Michigan will recover from this...the state is too beautiful and full of wonderful people for everyone to give up on us. There are others in the same boat..(DH and me)---unemployment gone and cobra insurance is $700+/month...but I am confident that we will find jobs...
I am just concerned about the families with children that do not have food in their refrigerators... Things WILL get better.. Somehow we will replenish our savings!! I am confident!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I've never had a store-bought one hold together more than a couple years, where my quilts still aren't falling apart
Old 07-06-2011, 11:09 AM

I have couple that I bought years ago for our "weekend" house that we now live in full time. The quilting is starting to go and they are hand pieced and that is coming out too. We use them as ground covers now, so I plan to put them on the quilt frame and practice FMQ on them.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:39 AM

You get what you pay for.

When I see that cwap on QVC for a mere hundy, I get a little upset, and here's why:
I bought a bunch of fabric to make summer dresses, cuz I don't like wearing shorts. When I told my friend I got enough fabric to make 5 dresses for about $30 total, she wanted me to make her some. When I told her she couldn't afford me, she wondered why. When I told her how many hours per dress x $10 per hour, she was shocked. Shocked I tell you!
Did she think my time was free? Just try to get a seamstress for $10 an hour.
People think handmade = less cost.
Yeah, with a good sale and some coupons, it's less cost to the sewer - Not to YOU. Duh!
[Before ya'll think I'm a meanie, the second reason I tried to discourage her was her size and the fact that I'd need to buy another pattern plus custom fit her]

So when QVC, or anyone else has that junk, I think it perpetuates the myth that made at home = cheaper.
So far I have not made a quilt for myself. I'm workin on that. I obviously don't mind giving them away, though. Sell em? I think no one can afford me.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by FQ Stash Queen
They don't stand up to the wear and tear of normal usage. And, if you look at them closesly, you can definitely tell the difference between them and the handmade ones.
that is only true of some, not all.

as i said earlier, i have one that was a cat-hair catcher for eight years and got washed weekly, and we still use it for this and that. it's still hanging in there. it's now about fourteen years old. handmade baby quilts don't always last that long. they certainly don't get washed weekly for eight years. if they do, they look just like the imported one i have.

i also have one that's made in upstate new york. made, not distributed. there's a place for those quilts, just like there's a place for costume jewelry. not everyone can have gold.

as for what they look like, they are what they are. buy them or don't buy them.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
I have couple that I bought years ago for our "weekend" house that we now live in full time. The quilting is starting to go and they are hand pieced and that is coming out too. We use them as ground covers now, so I plan to put them on the quilt frame and practice FMQ on them.
but they lasted for years, right? so they served their purpose.