Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retail quilts >

Retail quilts

Retail quilts

Old 07-05-2011, 04:45 PM
mim

I like real paintings and watercolors. I don't have any reproduction pictures on my walls. I think it is the same idea. We are the "artists" with fabrics -- I imagine that painters cringe when they see a houseful of pictures. And the owners have every right to love what they have. We all have what we can afford.
Mim

Originally Posted by JulieR
Quilts like that have their place. We have a lot of pets, and I would never expose something I had slaved over for hours to their playing and roughousing.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:33 PM

the very sad sad thing is they are hand sewn. People in China especially, 3rd world countries are hand sewing, doing anything that we used to pay an honest days wage for, or made by hand as a craft item.
There was this TV doc on a few yrs ago and it was shown where things were coming from. They showed this middle aged woman hand sewing shoes! for LLBean. the pcs were brought to her hut and she had to provide her own needle (25C ec) she go paid 15C (CENTS) to hand sew a docker style LEATHER shoe. She could sew up 7 pair a day - her and all the people in the village who lived in huts, no water, electric, it was sickening to see.
Another girl worked in a sweat shop in a city and when she was told what people pd for her jeans/ sweatpants she just laughed cus she couldnt get her head around the number. She got pd 20C an hr to work at a machine 14 hrs a day. They even brought her to the states, took her to a walmart and pulled her work off the rack, she didnt get it at first, the stuff was selling for 16$ a pair of pants - she broke down and sobbed. when they told a shopper who the girl was and how little she made so those pants could sell at 16$, the customer said she was sorry, but she had to think of her own, that "those people" should go on strike if they want more money.
I do most of (new undies, swim suits! -) my shopping at yardsales/goodwill now. Yes, the stuff came from overseas, but when it gets to good will the next stop is a toss between going back thru to another 3rd world country or to the rag boiler. stuff no one wants goes to the dumps.
its not the money, its the point. We have no jobs here and people are being turned into slaves overseas. These are manufacturing jobs, even nice office jobs are farmed out. I was hired to do 3rd party medical billing last job I had. Started at min wage: 7.50$ /hr, had to drive 45min each way for this, couldnt buy medical ins, not enough pay for that. The job was farmed to a call center in India. They make (now) 2.10$, no benefits, no breaks, no rules or laws for the worker. sharet
Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 PM

These people are making a living also, Even tho their wages are low so is their cost of living. I am ready to make quits from my stash for $20.00 because for the last two years I have been unemployed and not able to find a job. Unemployment only lasts so long and there is no medical for me either. I am not sure what I am going to do now We just had our car totaled so I am without a car and live in the country. I do not agree with slave labor either, but that is what I would be doing.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

I have seen the store bought quilts, I would never buy one. I just look and walk on. To each their own.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:18 PM

I bought a store bought quilt for a huge empty wall in my home for $50. After about 10 years hanging there (probably filled with dust and pollen by that time--embarrased to admit this), I washed it and it bled all over itself. But it looked great for a long time. It has large stitches...obvioulsy not great work. I must admit that it had held up to lots of lounging now that it has blurry colors. Bought several quilts from the shopping channel and they look good, stitching is good, but quilting is not so hot. I know that they are not anywhere near the quality that I am making and that is all that counts.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by cminor
I have noticed more and more pretty good looking quilts at places like Kohls and Walmart. Today I saw a double wedding ring king sized quilt at Walmart for . . .$16.00!

We went to my husbands uncles house last year and that was the first time I saw one of these. I "thought" I could tell the difference between the hand made vs. store bought. I guess not. Since then every time I walk by one I kind of glare at it - like it knocked over my ice cream cone.

So my question is - how do you feel about mass made quilts passing as hand made? Knowing most people that don't quilt could never tell the difference.
They are poorly made, I did buy one for the dogs to use on the couch. {They don't think I know they get up there when we are gone. lol!} A quilt appraiser will never let one pass as home made. They also have commercial labels.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 PM

The heartbreaking truth is that they are usually hand made. What kind of labor cost do you think may be involved? And could you even come close to buying fabric for what they must be paying?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:45 AM

They are good for the pets or for making crafts with.My daughter uses one i got at a garage sale for a table cloth and loves it.But they arent as good as homemade that is for sure.As long as you know what you are getting.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 AM
mim

I love your avatar IB -- is it all flowers?? a pattern name, please -- Mim

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
The heartbreaking truth is that they are usually hand made. What kind of labor cost do you think may be involved? And could you even come close to buying fabric for what they must be paying?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:12 AM

They don't stand up to the wear and tear of normal usage. And, if you look at them closesly, you can definitely tell the difference between them and the handmade ones.