Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retail quilts >

Retail quilts

Retail quilts

Old 07-05-2011, 12:35 PM

i do buy a lot of blankets at goodwill and always i find fabric for a good price too
Old 07-05-2011, 12:59 PM

They are not usually of good quality--I bought one from Domestications once that i really liked for my son--then i just straight stitched over the seams and its his favorite.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:00 PM

All the $16.00 quilts I have seen at Walmart and Kmart are printed quilt designs. Quilted with large stitch, maybe this is handquilted part. I haven't been to Kohls in over a year, so I am not familiar with their quilts.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:03 PM

All that is true. But, are you not aware that that's where much of your fabric that you buy from the LQS's come from as well? Just go on an adventure.....go to Kohl's, Lowe's, your local upscale dept. store, the grocery, the Dollar Store, the hardware store, the gift shop, the card store,etc., etc., etc. and start reading the labels. If they're not made in China, it's Indonesia, Pakistan, Honduras,etc. with the same working conditions Try to find something "Made in the USA"....NOT distributed by but, MADE in the USA. The people to boycott are the p
Old 07-05-2011, 01:04 PM

All that is true. But, are you not aware that that's where much of your fabric that you buy from the LQS's come from as well? Just go on an adventure.....go to Kohl's, Lowe's, your local upscale dept. store, the grocery, the Dollar Store, the hardware store, the gift shop, the card store,etc., etc., etc. and start reading the labels. If they're not made in China, it's Indonesia, Pakistan, Honduras,etc. with the same working conditions Try to find something "Made in the USA"....NOT distributed by but, MADE in the USA. Check your pins and needles and rotary blades and cutters.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:05 PM

Forgive me if this post is inappropriate, but considering the topic thread, I thought the irony was hilarious when I read the google ad at the bottom of this page!

Pottery BarnŽ Quilts
Sleep in Comfort with Beautiful Patchwork Quilts from Pottery Barn.
www. PotteryBarn. com

I guess there is a quilt out there for everybody;)
Old 07-05-2011, 01:08 PM

sorry, but it's self deluding to say that they all are badly made.

i have a few that are well made and there are companies now that are selling them as part of an Americana Collection. they aren't $10, but not $50 either. i kept one on a bed for years as a cat hair collector. it got washed every week for eight years and it's still going strong. it doesn't look new, but the ones i make for babies that get washed that often don't look new either. yes, it has big stitches and muslin-y fabric, but it hangs in there, so what can i complain about? if you look at these quilts, mass-produced, you'll see that they were made here, are well-made, have interesting designs and colors. i bought these years ago when we had a big house that needed instant bedding for visiting teenagers. they were not part of cheap packages that included shams and ruffles. they cost about $25.00 then and i still see them for about $35.00. i don't care. i quilt because i enjoy it, not because it's cheaper or better. my family loves my work because i made it.

mariner's compass
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221394[/ATTACH]

pretty good points
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221395[/ATTACH]

matching back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221396[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-221388.jpe   attachment-221389.jpe   attachment-221390.jpe  
Old 07-05-2011, 01:14 PM

these are more. they have been washed, they have been used for picnics and teenagers have pushed and pulled them. now they hang on the wall for an extra layer. i got my money's worth and someone here made a living.

edit: i lost them.

anyway. one had a pointed edging and a tag on the back with a company name here in new york state. the last one is a trip around the world.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
Originally Posted by MargeD
I believe they may have their place, although by buying them we cut down on the possibility of an American made quilt being bought instead.
it's possible that an american quilt may not be purcased as the buyer of the cheap quilt may not be able to afford a more expensive american one.
please see my post above this. it just takes some looking.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:27 PM

I was recently at a quilt outlet while on vacation. I did buy a throw quilt made in India, because it was my colors and had curved piecing, which I'm still not ready to do. They also had printed quilts for $75 and up, priced the same as their pieced quilts.