Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retail quilts >

Retail quilts

Retail quilts

Old 07-05-2011, 06:50 AM

The tops look good but they have no batting and only some polyester backing . they don't hold up well and they are not warm.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by joym
I think it also diminishes the work that we as quilters do. For those of us who sell....people are alarmed at the prices we charge not understanding the quality of the work as compared to the foreign made, mass produced ones.
I think this is pretty much what I was getting at. I have more store bought blankets/comforters than hand made - but to see the ones in the store that are made to look like what we create makes me sad.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by cminor
I have noticed more and more pretty good looking quilts at places like Kohls and Walmart. Today I saw a double wedding ring king sized quilt at Walmart for . . .$16.00!

We went to my husbands uncles house last year and that was the first time I saw one of these. I "thought" I could tell the difference between the hand made vs. store bought. I guess not. Since then every time I walk by one I kind of glare at it - like it knocked over my ice cream cone.

So my question is - how do you feel about mass made quilts passing as hand made? Knowing most people that don't quilt could never tell the difference.
I have a handquilted quilt from Domestications I got for $39 for a king size. Yes, it IS hand quilted, but at least 1/2" stitches and far apart. It has come out through washings, but I got it because I liked the look, and with the dogs and cats jumping on the bed, I didn't want to ruin one I had worked so hard on. So just as cheap fabric has it's place, so do cheap quilts. Just as long as you know the difference and are making an informed decision to purchase that quilt.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 AM

Years ago I purchased one of these quilts (king size) for $20.00. I've used it for everything and washed it often (cover in spare bedrrom, extra blanket for grandkids sleepovers, picnic blanket, covered dining table to make tent for grandkids, etc). It has held up amazingly well and I have no problem using it.
It's not one of mine, I don't think any quilter would mistake it for the "real thing", but it's served a purpose in my household. In spite of its origin, it's found a place in my family and I choose to think of it as an adopted grandchild:>)
Lighten up ladies, everyone can't be lucky enough to receive one of our quilts LOL
Old 07-05-2011, 06:56 AM

Some folks use the store bought quilts to make quilted jackets, purses etc. I've seen a few that people have made and they are really nice. I think once you've quilted you can see the difference in the quality of workmanship and fabrics but if you don't quilt you wonder why anyone would pay hundreds of dollars to make a quilt that can be bought for $25 - 50 in a store. I know my neighbor does.

Just my 2 cents.
Marie
Old 07-05-2011, 07:15 AM

I guess the old saying is true. "You get what you pay for."
Now, haven't we all seen the list of hours and love and fabric, etc.
that goes into a handmade quilt?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:17 AM

........and money! Time's are tight.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:22 AM

I was given a quilt From WalMart and I have had to repair it so many times it isn't funny but it will make a great picnic or beach quilt-maybe can be used for packing. The quality is just not there and the seams must be as small as they can get because they come apart at the seams regularly.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM

They'll never match the love that goes into hand made.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:31 AM

Before I started quilting, I bought a quilt at Sears for $50. I lasted about 10 years and ended up in the dog's bed. Started falling apart - in fact, the fabric started disenagrating (spelling?) like it was dry-rot.

Then I discovered quilting and the rest is history.

What I've experienced is how people ask me to make a quilt and when I quote a $500+ price, they look at me like I'm crazy. I let them know the fabric alone will run around $300+. That's usually as far as I get with them....which is just fine with me.

I've sold a few memory quilts for around $100 but the customer usually supplies the t-shirts, clothing, etc. for me to work with.