Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retail quilts >

Retail quilts

Retail quilts

Old 07-05-2011, 05:50 AM

Several years ago I was in China and actually went to a place where quilts were being made. They did not know company was coming. In one building ladies were piecing the quilts on machines, in another building ladies were quilting the quilts. Yes, the stitches were big. Then the quilts were hung outside in the sun, then were taken to another building where ladies were checking for loose strings. These ladies were being paid what is considered fair wages in China. No, not what we would consider fair in the states. All the buildings were very clean, but no air conditioner which is nothing unusualy in China. There were ceiling fans.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:51 AM

I've purchased three: one fell apart and two are still going strong, even with heavy use. The one that fell apart was purchased at Cracker Barrel, the two that have held up were purchased at JC Penney and Linens and Things. I don't see a problem with purchasing a store-bought quilt. As for "slave labor," I don't see how purchasing a quilt made in China is any different from purchasing something else made in China or another nation with poor labor laws. If I boycott all third-world nations just in case the labor force isn't treated fairly (and I never would), that would mean far fewer (or no) shoes, clothes, fabric, some of my food, and almost any other consumer product.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:55 AM

I've got a few. One of them was from my college dorm days, when the handmade one that I made for myself was stolen. I didn't have the room in the small dorm to make myself another one (or the time because I really did study!) so I went to some discount store and got myself a bed in a bag. The thing is still holding up really well, and it's a great comforter to take when we go on a road trip. I don't mind it, and it'll be a sad day when I have to get rid of that one. I really do like it.

That said, I love the ones I make more. :D
Old 07-05-2011, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

The ones I have seen lately for $20 are not quilts. They are printed cheater cloth. I bought some years ago before I knew how to quilt and they were actually pieced. I think they were made in China. The fabric is a lot thinner, the quilting is coarse, generally not bound but turned and overal they are not made very well but they are still quilts and have charm. We use them for outside and camping.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
Years ago I purchased a Quilt at Family Dollar it was a double wedding ring (this was before I got the quilting bug) It sure looks hand stitched, I am still using it but it is falling apart I have used it everyday for many years and it is a King size, I squeeze it in my regular washer and dryer so it has been abused. Gonna Have to make me a big one for my bed!!
"Years ago" when we purchased something, it would last. If you would purchase that quilt today, it probably wouldn't last through two or three washing. :lol:
Old 07-05-2011, 06:16 AM
DJ

I had a store-bought, relatively inexpensive quilt that I took to the cleaners to have them wash because my machine wasn't big enough. The colors ran and I ended up chucking it. I couldn't find another quilt to buy in the colors I wanted. Thus started my quilting hobby. I have a couple of other store-bought quilts, and they truly do not hold up as well. I want to replace them with my own.

It's true that non-quilters do not really know the difference. I sure didn't.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:24 AM

Well said.

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
regardless of how they are made, they arent made with blood, sweat and tears, and not to mention love that quilters put into their quilts. I think that is what makes the homemade ones different from the store bought ones... Most everything we make can be bought, and for a lot cheaper, but that isnt the point. we make things for our friends and loved ones (and sometimes as give aways to someone who needs it) because it means something more when it comes from our hands. :)
Old 07-05-2011, 06:38 AM

I have one of those quilts for a picnic quilt. The cotton is very thin and it is constantly coming unsewed in the seams. They are made with the cheapest thread and fabric that can be found. I don't mind since it is for outside anyway. :-)
Old 07-05-2011, 06:39 AM

My neighbor asked me to look at a quilt in regard to repairing it. It turned out to be store bought about 12 years old. It was falling apart, the fabric deteriorated, the quilting threads dissolved. I pronounced it dead, with kindness and sympathy. It was their bed quilt when first married and little money.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

I believe they may have their place, although by buying them we cut down on the possibility of an American made quilt being bought instead. As someone said, they use the cheaper quilt to protect their bedding from their four-legged friends, and won't feel so bad if they tend to fall apart after a a few washings. But like everything else, you get what you pay for.