Thread: Retail quilts
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 AM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by cminor
I have noticed more and more pretty good looking quilts at places like Kohls and Walmart. Today I saw a double wedding ring king sized quilt at Walmart for . . .$16.00!

We went to my husbands uncles house last year and that was the first time I saw one of these. I "thought" I could tell the difference between the hand made vs. store bought. I guess not. Since then every time I walk by one I kind of glare at it - like it knocked over my ice cream cone.

So my question is - how do you feel about mass made quilts passing as hand made? Knowing most people that don't quilt could never tell the difference.
I have a handquilted quilt from Domestications I got for $39 for a king size. Yes, it IS hand quilted, but at least 1/2" stitches and far apart. It has come out through washings, but I got it because I liked the look, and with the dogs and cats jumping on the bed, I didn't want to ruin one I had worked so hard on. So just as cheap fabric has it's place, so do cheap quilts. Just as long as you know the difference and are making an informed decision to purchase that quilt.