Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Rack and lace used in/on quilts.

I've used Rick Rack in the borders. It makes turning the edge down easier. My quilting friend always frown when I have Rick Rack on a quilt top.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

How do you guys sew the rick rack on Just stitch down the middle or zig zag or what?
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Blog Entries
    I would wash and dry the lace or rick rack before using it in a quilt. I used to sew clothes for my two daughters when they were small and the rick rack would shrink and curl up a lot.
    Nikki in MO

I've seen rick rack used for stems of flowers on applique quilts. Looked really cute. In fact I have one on my to do list. I also saw a Grandmother's Fan quilt that used lace around the edges of the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I've used Rick Rack in the borders. It makes turning the edge down easier. My quilting friend always frown when I have Rick Rack on a quilt top.....
    That is SO cute, Joellyn! Love that quilt!

Blog Entries
    Lots of good ideas so far. If I do try it, I will be sure and wash first. I really like the idea of using it on the border edge where fabrics meet. I think I will zig-zag stitch it on though... or sew on both sides???
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Power Poster
    I would just soak the rick rack in hot water until the water cooled - and then roll it in a towel and hang it on a rack or lay it on a towel to dry. Not sure what it would do if put in a dryer - but I think it might curl.

I know the older rickrack would shrink - there was always that pucker where it had been sewn on!

I always do a zig zag when sewing down my rick rack. I don't like the way it curls up if I don't. I do the triple zig zag, 3 stitches across, 3 stitches back. I've practiced on scraps to get the width and length settings just right, then I wrote those on a piece of tape and attached to my sewing machine so I will remember the next time I do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
    How do you guys sew the rick rack on Just stitch down the middle or zig zag or what?

Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
    I have accumulated much rick rack and lace over the years and would like to incorporate one or the other or both into some kind of quilt or quilts. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Pictures would be even better. Thanks for any help you might give or for pointing me in the right direction.
    I once used the large rick-rack when making a reversible quilt and after sewing the borders on, I turned it over the it had not lined up as hoped. So on the seam line on the back, I hand sewed the rick-rack over the seam line and the faux pas was known to none..........
    no was was wise to this error and thought that the trim on the quilt was done intentionally.

Ric Rac

I just bought several hundred yards of R/R. I use it for flower stems. pillow seams, dec trim etc. These days, r/r is usually polyester or in my case nylon. If you keep the dryer heat and iron temp low it shouldn't curl, shrink or melt. Watch the vintage r/r (ebay etc). That may be cotton. Check the content-if it's synthetic it should be fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast