Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rick Rack and lace used in/on quilts.

I don't think the new rick rack shrinks but if you have a store of old cotton rick rack it needs to be washed in hot water and dried in the dryer so that it is done shrinking or it will shrivel up something awful. I have lots of rick rack too and also lace. I did a fan quilt with gathered lace along the edges of the fan and the base of the fan and it is beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice! I bought a sew box for 10.00 that was full of sewing stuff and lots of rick rac and I was wondering what to do with it. I love the idea as flower stems. Thank you for letting me know that I should wash it first. I also like the idea of sewing the edges like an applique

If the whole r/r will be exposed-down the middle the sewing goes. If it's going to be half-exposed, if it's embedded in a seam then it's a little trickier. I follow this tut by Wendy Gratz. Comes out perfect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKnUKfyNtvc

I love the yo-yo & rick- rack quilt from the google photos. Very cute

Blog Entries
    AWESOME video...that would look great on a table runner.

Blog Entries
    I've washed ric rac in the washer. I just use the smaller lingerie bags and wash in warm water with Woolite on delicate or handwash cycle. Then toss into the dryer for about 10 minutes. I use a cool setting on my iron with a pressing cloth for the really delicate lace.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I've used Rick Rack in the borders. It makes turning the edge down easier. My quilting friend always frown when I have Rick Rack on a quilt top.....
    That is beautiful Joellyn!

Here is a vest my Mom made me several years ago. It was a crazy quilt. She said she would never do a crazy quilt again! LOL I requested it. I liked the crazy quilt pattern. I still wear it now and again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tracy Delegal; 07-13-2013 at 07:28 AM.

The last rick rack I purchased was 100% polyester, which did not shrink or curl. I sewed it into the binding. Sorry, if it is hard to see in the attached photo.Name:  baby quilt for care center director.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  989.8 KB

SStems for appliqued flowers, trim for Sunbonnet Sue, all kinds of embelishment. Just try out different things

Crazy Quilts!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast