Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Road Trip???? >

Road Trip????

Road Trip????

Old 01-30-2016, 11:25 AM

Default Road Trip????

Maybe not. My friend just got back from a trip to Thiland(sp). She bought back 1yd. cuts of fabric. Great cotton only 1.65 a yard. She also bought back some Asian fabrics. They were $10 for a 2yd. cut. These were clothing type fabrics, I'm guessing more popular there. Guess no one uses quilting fabric there.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:41 PM

My friend went to Italy last year, could not find anything other than silk and leather. Not that that's a bad thing....
Old 01-30-2016, 02:00 PM

I have lived in Asia for many years and often spent my vacation time in Thailand. That's where almost all my fabric comes from! The Chiang Mai fabric market has beautiful cotton fabric that works very well for quilting, just a tiny bit thiner than American quilting fabric - but sooooo much cheaper! And, BTY, there are people quilting in Thailand (not that many, though, I guess...)! Someone used to post here on the board. It was a Thai lady who, if I remember right, said that they were taught by missionaries. They are doing beautiful and elaborated hand quilts for export.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:06 PM

This fabric is thicker than I'm used to. I guess it's a brushed cotton. I'll use it has a backing as it's all teddy bears about 2 inches square. Seems I remember a xmas wrapping with this design. She had a sale flyer of the new machines. They all have push buttons, no more foot pedals. Kinda looks like Brother machines. All around $300.00.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:01 AM

I have had three girl as foreign exchange student in my home. They all got excited when they seen my quilts. They all made quilts to take home with them. In fact the last girl sent me a box of fabric from there. They are all silks. I just love them, and have not used them yet. I was thinking pillows. One father sent me a Thai quilt. It was one layer and heavy embroidery. I actually would call it a throw.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

My daughter and her hubby went to Thailand last Fall, when he was traveling for business; however, she didn't get any fabric for her poor mother who has no fabric stash (LOL, kidding, I say my stash is just right, my DH and kids think it's too much - it's a matter of opinion I think). I'm hoping that the next time she goes there or hubby goes they might bring back some fabrics, particularly batiks, which I love. During one trip to Singapore she brought back fabric, however, it was for me to make something for her. She moved to Sydney, Australia about a year ago to be with her hubby, and I really, really miss her, as she's so far away.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

I would only go to Japan on a road trip since they have beautiful cottons there.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:22 PM

Thank you for posting. This has been very interesting to follow along.