Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Robert Kaufman pattern problems >

Robert Kaufman pattern problems

Robert Kaufman pattern problems

Old 08-05-2015, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Janette View Post
I purchased a kit from Craftsy named "Holiday Dash" by Robert Kaufman Fabrics. It's a Xmas quilt. It was listed for a "confident beginner." Looked pretty easy - churn dash squares inside a mitered border. There are 14 fabrics. The cutting instructions for 4 of them were incorrect. The instructions for cutting the outer border couldn't be done at the width instructed. Took me 2 days to figure out how to get close to what I needed. No instructions for the inner border, other than use 9 of the 13 strips cut - nothing about how to join strips, what the measurement of the inner borders should be, etc. No measurement given for the outer border or any instructions for beginning quilters to measure to be sure borders match.

I posted my comments on the "contact the designer" on Craftsy. Got no reply. Noted that others had posted comments, again with no reply. I sent an e-mail to Craftsy direct with my problems. Got an immediate response from them offering me a complete refund. I refused as I had figured out how to make the quilt, so they gave me a discount credited to my account. They also said they had tried to contact the designer. Haven't heard anything from that.

I also sent an e-mail to Robert Kaufman Fabrics direct. I have never received a reply.

So, if you have this pattern, check it over very carefully. I will never buy another pattern from Kaufman.

This is a free pattern if you go to the Kaufman site:

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...ash/#kit_quilt
Old 08-05-2015, 05:49 AM

The instructions say to trim the 1/2 square tris (5" squares...trim the 1/2 square tris to 4-1/2")...This is so your 1/2 square tris are accurate....many patterns show to do this now.
They don't repeat the trim to size in the smaller block instructions...should have, but, thinking they assume that since you trimmed the larger, you would know to trim the smaller.... not sure that I would have, until the 1/2 sq tris didn't fit.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:52 AM

I try not to use patterns but when I do, I consider them suggestions!!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:09 AM

So sorry you had all that trouble. Good thing you was able to figure it out close at least. I know there is an occasional error but so many like this pattern is ridiculous.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I agree with Tartan that you did receive good customer service from Craftsy. Here is the pattern:
http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin..._dash/#color:1
Don't make any mistakes because this is last years fabrics.

I read the pattern on the site......I think because it stated intermediate quilter....some of what you think is missing isn't really.......like cutting the border fabric length 84"...... Attach by finding center and attach......presuming an intermediate quilter would know how to miter those corners......same with adding sashings....and these measurements/instructions need not be written. I don't see how 4 of the blocks cannot be made with the given instructions....but I just quickly read thru them....but I did download the pattern and will try it.....looks like a cool way to make a holiday quilt with some pieces of holiday fabric I have. As an aside I really don't like those four little blocks in the center and think I will just put in another large one........

Please show your finished project......
Old 08-17-2015, 10:09 AM

You're correct, the pattern does say "intermediate quilter"; however, on the Craftsy site the kit (including pattern) lists it for a beginner (2 stars). If you ordered the kit you wouldn't know this until you received the kit and pattern. That's not so bad if the designer would respond to your questions, but I got no answers when posting on the "contact the designer" on Craftsy or when I sent an e-mail direct to Kaufman.

If you're a beginner with only a few quilts under your belt, not having instructions on how to make borders, how to measure borders, plus errors in the instructions make it very difficult to understand. Plus, I am fortunate that I have a very good quilt shop nearby staffed with people who love to solve your problems; those who are miles away from help are not so lucky.