Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rolling Bag for Singer Featherweight machine >

Rolling Bag for Singer Featherweight machine

Rolling Bag for Singer Featherweight machine

Old 02-15-2014, 04:33 PM

Default Rolling Bag for Singer Featherweight machine

I read an older thread about how people carried their Featherweight machines to classes, retreats, etc. and there were some great ideas. I have a big rolling bag designed for a machine but it's so big and heavy that I can't heave it into the car by myself!

A friend showed me her small rolling tote (designed to fit under an airline seat) from LLBean and it's a perfect fit for a Featherweight! They call it a Carryall Rolling Underseat Bag and it comes in some dark solids and a teal floral print. It's more pricey than some totes but has a really solid bottom and a "seat belt" that will stretch to fit around the machine. Only needs a little padding at the back of the machine. Thought someone else might be interested.

Anita

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-16-2014 at 05:40 AM. Reason: remove copyright image
Old 02-15-2014, 05:38 PM

That's very pretty & I believe anything you buy from L. L. Bean has a lifetime warranty!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:26 PM

Wow!!! I was in the market for something to take my featherweight around....this may just be the thing!!!!!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:56 PM

Does the featherweight machine only fit in this or will the featherweight case fit?
Old 02-18-2014, 07:18 AM

Sorry I didn't see your reply before now. Just the machine fits...no room for the case. I don't travel with my machine other than in my own car, so I think the machine will be safe with just a little padding around it.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:09 PM

On first glance this seems to be a great case for a small sewing machine for air travel but I looked at customer reviews on LLBean to see what some of the reviews were. If you read the 1 and 2 star comments the biggest complaint was that it did not fit under the seat of the average 'economy' seat. Some comments said that the type of aircraft and also if the underseat space was an aisle/window vs center seat were all factors. The case seems to be too long to fit in the given underseat space and many travellers had to put their bag either in overhead storage or give it up to be put in cargo.
If I travel with my precious featherweight as a carry-on and the case does not fit then I have to consider whether I want to risk it being hefted up in overhead storage and perhaps falling out and hitting someone on the head or being damaged in cargo.

The type of case really should be researched and investigated completely. When you are quickly taking your seat on a plane, you want to be sure that your machine will be ok during your flight.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:58 PM

I agree with costumegirl. I would never use this case for air travel with my Featherweight. I'm not sure whether I even would attempt that with my "Mary Ruth" in any kind of case.

I bought the case for going to guild meetings and retreats and even then I'll add some padding. But at least I know I can lift it into and out of the car!
Old 02-26-2014, 02:49 AM

Anita, thank you for posting. Like you, I am looking for a lightweight tote for local classes, etc.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:30 AM

I need a rolling tote for a bigger machine, I'm going to the Vermont Quilt Festival and don't have anything to carry my machine in.

I'm not sure which one I'm taking yet. Any advice or recommendations on rolling totes?