Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Roman Shades >

Roman Shades

Roman Shades

Old 04-02-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
OK - I am now thoroughly confused:

The instructions say to use some sort of a stabilizer across the fabric at the fold line. Apparently dowels work well. My confusion is that I can sew a channel into the fabric to put the dowel in BUT how do I attach the loop tape? If I sew it on first, I will sew the channel shut. If I sew it on after, I need to sew over the dowels. Sometimes, I feel so dense.

The roman shade tape only needs to be tacked underneath each ring. It doesn't not need to be sewn down completely. And I recommend using it. Much easier than sewing each ring on.

You don't really need the dowels unless it is a large heavy shade. We lined ours with a heavier black out lining so they would insulate more and it gives it more body. Then the bottom pocket we put a steel rod in the bottom which adds the weight to make the shade go up and down better.

Clear as mud?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
OK - I am now thoroughly confused:

The instructions say to use some sort of a stabilizer across the fabric at the fold line. Apparently dowels work well. My confusion is that I can sew a channel into the fabric to put the dowel in BUT how do I attach the loop tape? If I sew it on first, I will sew the channel shut. If I sew it on after, I need to sew over the dowels. Sometimes, I feel so dense.
I am thinking Martina that you will have to sew the rings on your backing material first then sew the two pieces of fabric together and sew you channels for the dowel rods- that should work fine

Elle
Sew the dowels in by hand, not going through the track for the dowel.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Well I will certainly take on all those wonderful suggestions for the next one. This one didn't use dowels because it won't be raised and lowered a lot. I think for the next one, I will also tack on the rings by hand.