Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rosebud Applique

I am making a baby quilt for my first grandchild. Originally I posted a request for a "rose applique" pattern. But after looking at the space in my border I realize a few scattered rosebuds with short stems would look more delicate for a baby. I considered free-folding the bud itself to make it more 3-d and adding the stem, leaves etc. from a pattern. Any suggestions or patterns? I don't want it to be too bulky.

Thank for you help!

Blog Entries
    Maybe a serged or some kind of finished edge on the fabric instead of folding in half and half again, for the buds??? You could get away with a single thickness of fabric. You could do the same for the stems and leaves...and add some interest too if you use a little darker threads.

I never thought of that. A nice possibility. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Ribbon can be used to make rosebuds, and you can even use it for the stems and leaves. I have only seen pictures of this in books, but it looks pretty easy to do. Your library may have some books on how to make ribbon flowers.

It's exactly what I was thinking of. With bias stems and a leaf here and there it will be simple, perfect for a baby quilt. Thank you so much!

I have seen ribbon roses. I had bought silk ribbon and books and special needles, but have yet to try it. I have always wanted to try a crazy quilt with ribbon flowers for embellishment. Maybe I should start practicing. Thank you for the idea.