Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter >

Rotary Cutter

Rotary Cutter

Old 07-11-2014, 03:59 AM

Default Rotary Cutter

Can anyone tell me the best rotary cutter to buy, as I bought a cheap one as a learner, not wanting to spend much to start with, and it is absolutely pants, would appreciate any advice.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:14 AM

I bought an Olfa 45mm rotary cutter, with the gold/orange and black squeeze handle and retractable blade. The Olfa cutters are the ones I see most quilters with. They cost about $17-20, but if you can get them for half price with a coupon at many craft chain stores. The blades need replacing after cutting a few quilts. BTW, I also use the green Olfa cutting mats.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I bought an Olfa 45mm rotary cutter, with the gold/orange and black squeeze handle and retractable blade. The Olfa cutters are the ones I see most quilters with. They cost about $17-20, but if you can get them for half price with a coupon at many craft chain stores. The blades need replacing after cutting a few quilts. BTW, I also use the green Olfa cutting mats.
this is my favorite, too. i don't have to give a thought to closing the blade each time
Old 07-11-2014, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

The self-closing ones are better for me - I tended to forget to close the other ones and nicked myself a few times.

I don't know if there is a "best" - at least not "best" for everyone

If your "cheapie" cutte is comfortable to use, it just may need new blades.

ALL rotary cutter blades get dull when used.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:46 AM

I use the Olfa yellow ones. I have 45mm, 60mm, and the little one for curves. Love them.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I also don't think there's a 'best' rotary cutter, however, the shape of the handle varies widely. You need to get one that feels good in your hand and causes the least amount of stress. I have an ergonomic Martelli cutter, and I also have a KAI that I bought in the 90's (80's???). Alternating these two seems to cause the least amount of cutting fatigue. Both of these have thin handles. When one brand of cutter came out with the thicker handle, I got one and it just didn't fit my hand, so I gave it away. If you have any quilty friends, I would ask to use their cutters and see which one you like best. I use a 45MM for most cutting, but I do have a 60MM for trimming quilt sandwiches. Never seemed to need the tiny one. If I need something that small I use scissors.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

I am still using the same 45mm Olfa rotary cutter that I bought when they first came out in the 80's? I still have my same Olfa matt but I have a crack in it now. It is still useable but I did buy a new larger one this year.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

It depends if you are young, then buy an Olfa 45mm rotary cutter, especially using at 50% off coupon. But if you are older, I switch to an KAI bought at JAF (I think made by Dritz?). It has rubber grip which is easier for these not so nimble fingers to hold and much more comfortable plus it has an automatic retracting blade.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:20 AM

Lots of good advice already. Surprisingly my favorite is a Donna Dewberry, unfortunately I don't know who made it. It has a retractable blade, which I highly recommend. I didn't think that was a must have. I always closed it when I laid it down. However, one day I dropped a rotary cutter on my bare foot. OUCH.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:20 AM
KLO

I use the Olfa retractable blade cutter also and for basically the same reason that others mentioned. I can put it down after cutting and there is no cutting edge sticking out to cut me because I forgot to close it. Much safer for forgetful me! Ha! And it is pretty comfortable in my hand. Now if I could just stop hitting the corner of the rotary rulers and ruining the blade and the ruler ...........

Just saw that you are in England. Welcome to the QB. I am not sure if you can find the same make rotary cutters that we can get here in the states. Maybe someone else on the board who lives in England will chime in with some good suggestions.

Last edited by KLO; 07-11-2014 at 06:22 AM.