Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter >

Rotary Cutter

Rotary Cutter

Old 07-11-2014, 06:38 AM

I have used the Fiskars rotary cutter with the funny shaped handle for years. It gave me the least problems before I had my carpal tunnel surgery. I also have a blue cheapie that came in a starter kit (mat, ruler and cutter, which I bought for an impromptu class), a green Clover (which was a gift) and a yellow and black Olfa (which I use strictly with a pinking blade). All three of those have a straight handle, which is less comfrortable for me, so I don't use them often (or if my Fiskars has decided to hide from me). All four use 45mm blades and have to be manually closed after each use. If I was going to get another one, I would probably go with a Kai.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:33 AM

I like the olfa quick change and the splash one. I also have the ergonomic retractable one, but I don't feel it cuts as well as the other 2 because you have to hold it open, but it is safer to lay down and not get cut. I just got into the habit early on of closing my rotary cutter before setting it down, even the ergonomic one for this reason. I also love gingher45mm which I got on ebay for a good deal. The splash I got at connecting threads online when they were having a sale, craftsy also has a good price for this one when on sale. MY 60mm olfa quick change I also got on ebay for good price. Check ebay, sometimes its still cheaper than using a coupon at joanns
Old 07-11-2014, 07:40 AM

Welcome to the board. Unlike the rest of the posters, I prefer Fiskars - just like the shape better. Buy your cutters on eBay US. Even with the shipping, it's far cheaper than here.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 AM

I don't think there's any one best cutter but more of a personal preference thing. I started with a Fiskars cutter and ended up giving it to a friend as it just didn't feel comfortable in my hand. She loves it, though! I went and bought an Olfa after that and have stuck with it ever since.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:52 AM

Thank you to everyone that replied, we can get the Olfa in the UK, and I will certainly be buying one.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:59 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I am still using the same 45mm Olfa rotary cutter that I bought when they first came out in the 80's....
Me, too, Tartan, and I LOVE it! I've acquired many more Olfas since then, use them all, but prefer my old, finally-loosened-up Olfa cutter. I've tried and refused all others.

Jan in VA
Old 07-11-2014, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I have all brands and shapes of cutters. I reach for the Olfa with handle the most. There are two things that are the most important about the cutter, the blade and the mat. Know how to change the blade and change it often. Don't skimp by trying to make the blade last. Use a good quality mat. If the mat gets cutting grooves in it it's time to rotate, flip or get a new one. I see so many using worn out tools and all that does is cause frustration. I replace my baking pans more often then some buy new quilting tools.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Whatever feels good in your hands and change blades when needed!
Old 07-11-2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Welcome to the board. Unlike the rest of the posters, I prefer Fiskars - just like the shape better. Buy your cutters on eBay US. Even with the shipping, it's far cheaper than here.
I have always used a Fiskers size 45m. I tried an Olfa recently and couldn't get used to the feel of it.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:24 AM

Welcome from Canada! My favourite rotary cutter is the Martelli ergo cutter. I got it on sale from Connecting Threads, so even with shipping etc. it was still pretty inexpensive, and it works great. I also like the Olfa safety rotary cutter, because it automatically closes the blade when you put it down. I don't like the regular straight Olfa cutters, although I know a lot of people that do.

There really are two parts to a rotary cutter - the handle, and the blade. Find a handle that feels comfortable, then change the blade as needed, and you'll be good. I liked joining a quilt group because I was able to check out everyone else's equipment, which helped me find out what is and isn't comfortable for me.