Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutters >

Rotary Cutters

Rotary Cutters

Old 12-14-2013, 05:07 PM

Default Rotary Cutters

My DGD is 8 and enjoys sewing. Her parents have set up an area where she can keep her machine out (a simple Singer machine for now) and according to DD she spends her evenings sewing. However, DD said DGD can't cut a straight line no matter how hard she tries and wonders if she is too young to use a rotary cutter. Here's where I need your advice -- Should I buy her a ruler with some type of guard on it and the small size rotary cutter? Do they make safety gloves for children? DGD seems to be a very focused child and I know her mom won't let her use a cutter without guidance. I have tried to find some type of child "quilting gear" but can't find any. I finally have a DGD who loves to sew, so I want to encourage her in any way I can. I understand she is making Christmas presents for aunts, grandmothers and "girl" cousins (but they might be a little "wonky"). Doesn't matter, they will all be beautiful.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:18 PM

how about a June tailor shape cut ruler
[h=1][/h]
Old 12-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

I don't feel qualified to make a recommendation except to say that Fons and Porter use their "klutz glove" when they cut. Maybe it would be possible to get the small size one for each hand? And any other suggestions from our members.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:44 PM

Good for you and her mother for encouraging her to sew with REAL tools at a young age. I think using the toy stuff designed for children is just setting them up for failure. One thing I do to cut straight lines is mark the fabric on the edges where I want to cut then fold at the marks and press a crease. The crease makes it easy to follow the line. There are also gloves like this that are designed for cleaning fish.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cut-R...h-All+Products
The only problem is at 8 her hand would probably be way smaller than the glove.
Rodney
Old 12-14-2013, 05:57 PM

What about those rulers that have the ledge that the rotary cutter fits onto? That combined with a cutting glove of some sort might be ok? I think the rulers and cutter that works with it are called Tru cut - I think I saw them on The Grace Company website but I know they are not the only ones who sell them.
Good luck!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:23 PM

I wouldn't recommend it. I know grown women who have cut themselves bad with a rotary cutter. I say choose a pattern and cut them for her. There is plenty of time to learn how to use one. The danger is too great.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by tatavw01 View Post
how about a June tailor shape cut ruler
I just have to say that this is how I cut my finger (to the bone no less) when I was using the June tailor shape cut ruler.I am afraid that I was to preoccupied cutting my lines wasn't paying close enough attention and my fingers was lying in the same cutting slot.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:47 PM

I think maybe, with supervision only...it is easy to slip and lose a finger...I would cut it for her at this point...
Old 12-14-2013, 06:49 PM

This little gripper will keep her fingers away from the blade. http://www.heirloomcreations.net/sho...gypsy-gripper/
Old 12-14-2013, 07:12 PM

I have an Olfa rotary cutter and the blade is only exposed when the handle is squeezed. I bought it and my Klutz glove at the same time after cutting my finger very badly. I am not sure I would like my eight year old to use on without my being right there. I guess it would depend on the child. But, an instant is all it takes to really be injured. Maybe Rodney has the best idea.