Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutters >

Rotary Cutters

Rotary Cutters

Old 12-16-2013, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by HomespunHearth View Post
While the Klutz glove does come in a small, I think that it would really be too big for a child's hand. Moda is coming out with a new tool (called a Sew Easy Ruler and Cutter Combo) that was originally designed by a gal in Australia. Using a 45mm blade, it is actually attached to the ruler, and so there is no 'slipping' with the blade, keeping those fingers safe. I'll try to attached an image from our website.

Because we are talking about a child, I would also recommend/see if it's possible (in addition to a good tool) to get a pair of Klutz gloves custom fit to her hand ...
I have one of these and love it - wish they made a little smaller one as well - but alas you can only cut straight stuff with it. I think a good pair of scissors - and as mentioned, some precuts might be good for her for another couple of years. :-) (I apologize if the picture pops up again - couldn't find a way to delete it)

Marysewfun
Old 12-16-2013, 07:37 PM

I would be careful with a rotary cutter and an 8 year old -- even if she is mature for her age. You don't want her slicing into her finger before she completes her first quilt. The ruler that HomespunHearth attached looks like it would be worth giving it a try.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Fiskars has a ruler with the blade included, it actually looks like a paper cutter. It only cuts a straight line. However, as she gets older she could advance to the more traditional rulers, cutter, and mat. I got one at Walmart years ago and used it after my hand surgeries.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

You and your DD know her best. But, the ladies are right, it only takes a second to make a mistake.
This cutter might be the safest option if you choose to get her one.
Fiskars stopped making them for awhile, but I believe they are now making them again.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-195130.../dp/B00EXIACSU

One of the die systems would be a good solution, it would be expensive. But, safer.

Last edited by Suze9395; 12-16-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:51 PM

The only person who will feel more badly than the child when (not if) there is a cut would be the adult supervising. I would not want to be that adult and think that the privilege of feeling bad should go to the parent. Therefore, if a child of any age is going to be allowed to use a rotary cutter, I think it should be the parent who is doing the supervising.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:02 PM

There is a rotary cutter attached to a quilting ruler. I was watching a Quilt in a day episode and El was teaching a young lady how to cut fabric with this cutter. I looked very safe.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
This little gripper will keep her fingers away from the blade. http://www.heirloomcreations.net/sho...gypsy-gripper/
I bought one of those with great hopes but was disappointed. It wouldn't stay attached to the ruler, maybe there was something I did wrong. But it would be a good idea and sure keeps your fingers away from the cutter.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:15 AM

The fish cutting gloves look like something that might come in handy, even for me! Wonderful question.