Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutters >

Rotary Cutters

Rotary Cutters

Old 12-16-2013, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I wouldn't recommend it. I know grown women who have cut themselves bad with a rotary cutter. I say choose a pattern and cut them for her. There is plenty of time to learn how to use one. The danger is too great.
I would agree. Cutting fabric for her would give her a real head start on a project. There are lots of things children are just too young to do, and I think a rotary cutting may be one of them. But there are many solutions to this problem, including using scissors for a while, that it might be not be an issue.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:48 AM

Please do not let Her use a Rotary Cutter. I cut my finger bad. I am now a member of the Flat Finger Group, lol......cut it for Her, She can learn to cut fabric later on, let Her practice cutting on scraps until she gets the hang of it. I bet it won't be long before She can cut it just fine. I know you would hate to go find part of Her finger on the cutting board like I did mine. Way too dangerous.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 AM

I can't cut a straight line either and I'm well past 8 lol. I recommend The shape cut 12x12. I use the fiskars Easy Change Ergo Control Rotary Cutter (45mm). The guard covers the blade automatically when you stop cutting. Both are available at Joann's on sale or coupon. At 8 her motor skills should be good enough to manage those two.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:54 AM

I do not have a klutz glove (I probably should). Would it be possible to buy one and deconstruct it, cut it down to a small size and remake it? I see in this an opportunity for you to really interact with your granddaughter. Let her choose her pattern and her fabrics and you cut them for her as a pre-cut kit. I learned to sew when I was six or seven and have never stopped. I can't ever remember that cutting the project out was particularly fun. I'm sure she would enjoy the fellowship and spark in her creativity.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

My granddaughter started using a rotary cutter at age 10 but she only uses it with the Quilter's Slide Loc safety tool and with an adult present until she was 12. She knows if you use a rotary cutter you have to have a safety cutting tool or not use it. She never sees me using the cutter without the Slide Loc or a cutting glove. If you DGD has good motor skills I think she could use the cutter with strict rules.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:17 AM

Well I have never cut myself, but I don't think I would want my DGD to be using a rotary cutter at 8. Just too easy for something to happen in a second, no matter how close she is being watched. The thing is if she would get cut that might cause her to not want to sew anymore as well. So we certainly don't want that to happen.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:22 AM

Fiskars has a ruler where the rotary cutter is attached, it is a little pricey but we all know JoAnns has their coupons it would be a great Christmas present. Attaching pictures.[ATTACH=CONFIG]452014[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]452015[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 12-16-2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I wouldn't recommend it. I know grown women who have cut themselves bad with a rotary cutter. I say choose a pattern and cut them for her. There is plenty of time to learn how to use one. The danger is too great.
I agree. I would cut the pieces for her. You might also consider getting her something like a GoBaby and let her use pre-cuts in that.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:59 AM
Vat

I would be leary of putting a rotary cutter in an eight year olds hands but have you thought about a Go Baby? You can cut shapes for applique and squares, triangles, diamonds, etc. etc. for piecing.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:12 AM

My DGDs have been sewing and making quilts since they were 7 and 8. They will be 10 and 11 in Jan and Feb. I still do not let them use a rotary cutter and they are very responsible. I've seen too many adults need stitches after an accident. I have let them use the Accu go. At first I loaded it and they turned the handle. Now I watch them load it. I use Bonnie Hunters scrap saver system. When they come anything in the drawers is theirs to use. I cut another shapes they may need. I try to keep all kinds of shapes cut when they come visit and send a lot home with them. They do cut out doll clothes patterns with scissors and I have drawn lines for them to cut. My DD teaches Home Ec (it's called something different now) so she is able to help them, but Grandma has more "stuff".

Last edited by Vera39760; 12-16-2013 at 07:15 AM.