Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sampler quilts - >

Sampler quilts -

Sampler quilts -

Old 06-28-2016, 08:36 AM

Its super, Feline fanatic! I like the extreme random-ness. Its one you could scan during a tv commercial and see something new every time! My favorites (like the Splendid Sampler I'm doing now) use all different techniques and I see that in yours, too!
Old 06-29-2016, 02:35 AM

I love samplers! You can vary the settings - they don't all have to be sashed (as you can see from the beautiful batik example). I have set them medallion-style, on point, with plain fabric between, etc. I also used "gradations" batik in various colors to put blocks of many colors together rainbow fashion. I like samplers, too, for practicing my machine quilting. They allow me to vary what I do in each block.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
There was a suggestion a while ago here on QB about this and I really liked the idea.

When you are trying out a new block or technique to see if you like it, use a group of fabrics that you keep just for this purpose. That way in a future time you can put all your trial blocks together and they will have unity in a sampler style.

Smart thinking!
peace
I do that with red, white, and blue. Doesn't take long to get a lap size done.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:50 AM
pal

Feline Fanatic - what a great job you did putting that quilt together. I think the common factor in the quilt is that it is made of all cool colors, that all of your colors have blue in them.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:08 AM

I did a BOM last year and one of the blocks just didn't fit together from my perspective. So I changed it to a block I like. Now I have 12 blocks ready to put into a quilt. I like getting the projects in small amounts. It makes a project seem doable.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:03 AM

I can see why this is your favorite quilt! It is lovely and is one I would never get tired of looking at!
Old 06-29-2016, 07:33 AM

I made a sampler top two or three years ago -- still not quilted -- for the very reasons you mention; I wanted to try my hand at different blocks. The "commonality" is that each block is red and white but of different fabrics.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
There was a suggestion a while ago here on QB about this and I really liked the idea.

When you are trying out a new block or technique to see if you like it, use a group of fabrics that you keep just for this purpose. That way in a future time you can put all your trial blocks together and they will have unity in a sampler style.

Smart thinking!
peace
A friend suggested doing this with Christmas fabrics. The fabrics don't all have to match but they usually all coordinate enough to keep that Christmasy feeling in the finished quilt.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pal View Post
Feline Fanatic - what a great job you did putting that quilt together. I think the common factor in the quilt is that it is made of all cool colors, that all of your colors have blue in them.
PAL, I guess that is the unifying factor in the quilt. It does have mostly cool color spectrum, except for the smattering of hot pinks and browns. I know I tried to pull colors from my stash that played nicely with the colors I got in the block swap. There was a lot of green and aqua and teal but also purple. It was a fun quilt to make, from participating in a swap (my first) to coming up with a way to get a quilt out of all those wonderful blocks from other members of this board.

I will be making other samplers, Good Lord willing. FWS is on my bucket list. I was gifted a bunch of CW repros that I plan to make it with. I also have fabrics set aside for a new sampler for my guest bedroom that will be more traditional with the same fabrics throughout and all the same size blocks set with sashing.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:08 AM

wow!!! very pretty!!!