Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I would like to see your sampler quilts

I am presently trying to assemble Eleanor Burns' sampler No.2 from her series on Egg Money Quilts. So far, I made the Dresden Plate and the Turkey Tracks. I have a long way to go still.

I know that sampler quilts can have a theme: patriotic, houses, stars, goose flights, etc.. Did you ever make a sampler quilt? Any picture to show us?

Blog Entries
    No, I have never made a sampler, but I am going to someday, it is on my list. I want to do a star sampler, with all different sized stars.

Here's a sampler that I made several years ago. I just wanted to try out some easy blocks to see if I liked the idea of making a quilt. Guess what? I was hooked. I machine quilted the sashing and hand quilted the individual blocks. Not too accurate, but the quilt police haven't arrested me yet. haha
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I want to make a sampler quilt

Blog Entries
    Love your sampler Lois, it's so colorful.

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    I want to make a sampler quilt
    Well, starting Aug 1, we're starting the Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt. Come on and join us!

Here's a sampler top I made.. I have a couple of others started. I didn't have it quite together when I took this picture.. the left side shows the sashing.

I've got a pink and brown sampler top ready to be quilted, but I can't find the doggone thing. We've done some major rearranging in the house, and it apparently sprouted legs in the process. It's here somewhere. :roll:

I find myself getting bored quickly if all the blocks are the same, so sampler quilts seem to be perfect for me. :)

I considered participating in the Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt, but after glancing through several books on Amazon, I decided to go with Sylvia's Bridal Sampler from Elm Creek Quilts: The True Story Behind the Quilt - 140 Traditional Blocks. Just a personal preference. I don't know when I'll get to it yet. :lol:

Hello Louise

Here is my first ever quilt made 1986, handpieced and hand quilted - no theme here, just a variety of blocks when I was learning patchwork sewing

One of the 1st quilts I made was a sampler made when taking a class.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise C
    I am presently trying to assemble Eleanor Burns' sampler No.2 from her series on Egg Money Quilts. So far, I made the Dresden Plate and the Turkey Tracks. I have a long way to go still.

I know that sampler quilts can have a theme: patriotic, houses, stars, goose flights, etc.. Did you ever make a sampler quilt? Any picture to show us?
    Sampler Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-78406.jpe
Views: 1610
Size:  16.4 KB

I just finished a star sampler quilt not too long ago, and loved working on it!

All the pictures are lovely. I have my 12 Blocks done from Eleanor Burns that I followed along each week on her TV show. But I have not pieced the blocks together. Now I'm ready to get back at it after seeing all the pictures

Those are all Beautiful, Thanks for sharing !!! :)

I haven't made one yet, but it's the next on my to do list! This will be MY quilt, all mine!!

So, you can't find the brown sampler quilt you started!! A tip for you here maybe - I cut out all the diamond pieces for Cathedral Spire 20+ years ago and they were hidden inside the suitcase full of Christmas decorations -People in Oz don't generally put up decorations so didn't bother too much for myself since we spend Christmas at daughter's home now and I moved house 4 times in 12 years . January last year I pulled out all the labelled plastic bags and instructions and finally got on with making it!!!

Your sampler quilts are superb. It is amazing how we can do marvelous work and keep it hidden somewhere.. I do that a lot too and it is only when trying to find something else that things reappear as if to tell me: "Hey!! You forgot me along the line.. I exist and I want to be part of your life!!"

Thanks for sharing wonderful pictures with us. They are a source of inspiration for many and true beautiful work in your honour. Keep on the good work!

Banned

I have several as soon as I get back home I will post some photos...

here's my latest

Hello Marsye - your quilt is lovely and fresh looking - I saw your message about being busy recently, but I guess you might have been to the rejuvenation clinic too, since your new avatar is not the old hag with a fag I saw when I first joined here in March:lol: I often wondered what you really looked like :shock:

I have made the Underground Railroad quilt. I would call that a sampler.

Our club did a sampler quilt together a couple of years ago. It was 4 -- 8" blocks per month, each set of 4 teaching different skills. We started with squares and rectangles, and advanced to half-square triangles, quarter-square, flying geese, curves, paper piecing, hand and machine applique, etc.

I designed the thing, and got the top made, but only have about half of it hand-quilted. At our local quilt show last year, two of the ladies submitted it; one hand quilted, the other machine quilted. I'm getting embarrassed that I don't have mine done -- and I designed it and taught it in our club!!! :oops: Sheesh!! Maybe this year. I have until October!

I've only made one lap size sampler quilt. And I hand quilted it using the 'big' stitch in black. I thought the black gave it a
    antique or old look. I was satisfied with the quilt and have it displayed in the living room on an old ladder.
    (For some reason my picture didn't load)?