Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sampler quilts - >

Sampler quilts -

Sampler quilts -

Old 06-27-2016, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Default Sampler quilts -

I think they are a great idea for trying different techniques and patterns -

However - I do prefer for myself that the colors of each block have something in common and that each block has something in common - such as all stars or all made from the same grid. I guess one could call it "a controlled sampler"?

How about your preferences for sampler block quilts?
Old 06-27-2016, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

There was a suggestion a while ago here on QB about this and I really liked the idea.

When you are trying out a new block or technique to see if you like it, use a group of fabrics that you keep just for this purpose. That way in a future time you can put all your trial blocks together and they will have unity in a sampler style.

Smart thinking!
peace
Old 06-27-2016, 09:39 AM

great idea ube
Old 06-27-2016, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

I am the same way too!
Old 06-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

I used to think so until I made this quilt. The only commonality it has is that almost all the fabrics are batiks (there was one block that wasn't 100% batik). It was made from the batik block swap done here several years ago. The hostess did try to group them so there were some similar colors but it was hard I am sure with so many swappers using so many different fabrics. 12 of the blocks are from the swap and the remaining blocks I made from stash plus a block I had made for the swap that I rejected. I tried to utilize the colors I got but the quilt really is a hodge podge explosion of drastically different styles and colors. It is one of my most favorite quilts. I love it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552994[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails whole-quilt.jpg  
Old 06-27-2016, 11:03 AM

Love the idea of using the same fabrics. I'm working on a BOM using Christmas fabrics. About 4 into it, I wish I had used about 5 different fabrics and white. I think the look would be better.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I used to think so until I made this quilt. The only commonality it has is that almost all the fabrics are batiks (there was one block that wasn't 100% batik). It was made from the batik block swap done here several years ago. The hostess did try to group them so there were some similar colors but it was hard I am sure with so many swappers using so many different fabrics. 12 of the blocks are from the swap and the remaining blocks I made from stash plus a block I had made for the swap that I rejected. I tried to utilize the colors I got but the quilt really is a hodge podge explosion of drastically different styles and colors. It is one of my most favorite quilts. I love it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552994[/ATTACH]

Beautiful! I can certainly see why this is a favorite!!!
Old 06-27-2016, 12:56 PM

Sampler quilts can be made from similar colors and so that makes them a "scrappy" sampler quilt. frequently the same fabric are used in different blocks. variety comes in the placement of the blocks and colors.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:08 PM

I like something to unify the samplers, as well. I remember reading that persons suggestion to try new blocks using all the same colors . (I think hers were red, white and blue.) Since then I've been gradually making a red and white sampler of the same size blocks. I'm currently making s sampler baby quilt in pink, brown and white, with the brown being the same fabric in each one.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

I think this quilt is adorable and there is unity in the overall colors. The little bits of differences adds highlights and I love it.
peace