Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sandwiching quilts >

Sandwiching quilts

Sandwiching quilts

Old 10-04-2015, 05:50 AM

Default Sandwiching quilts

I would like some suggestions on how other folks sandwich their quilt top, batting and backing. I always manage to get a few wrinkles and that frustrates me, so I know there has to be easier way to do this. I'm too old to crawl around on the floor anymore, so any helpful hints, suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 10-04-2015, 06:10 AM

I do mine on the kitchen table. I wash table down first, just in case. My friends and I sometimes put two of those 6-foot folding tables together and use that. It works very well for larger quilts. One of my friends has even used a ping pong table. Her kids don't use it anymore so she removed the net and it works great. Have you tried the spray basting method yet. Since I have begun using a spray basting product, I get fewer wrinkles. Also, I will iron my batting or toss it in the dryer to fluff to get out the wrinkles before I use it. Hope this helps!
Old 10-04-2015, 06:22 AM
DJ

I use the basting spray, too. I like to iron it lightly as I go, and I think it really helps keep wrinkles out.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:21 AM

If you have a long table, this is a relaxing, completely non-stressful way to baste, and never a wrinkle in sight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjBGz5vGQ
Old 10-04-2015, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I use any table I have and Elmer's washable school glue. Very quick and easy. And nary a wrinkle.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:10 AM

You might check around your area to find a Longarmer who will baste the quilt for you. The cost is quite affordable and it could very well be worth it to your poor knees and back.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:47 AM

http://www.ooipvoi.ru/abcnews/jnke_K...all_Tabla.html

This is my new go-to method now for large quilts. I used to hang them, but for super kings and my old body it doesn't work anymore. * the link will come up with a map of the USA, just scroll down!
I have not needed the large binder clips - my arthritic hands can't use them anyway! I use the black and orange tipped workshop clips but you can even use pins. The "tutor" calls skewers "skurrs" which provides some mirth, but the idea is a good one!
Old 10-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
http://www.ooipvoi.ru/abcnews/jnke_K...all_Tabla.html

This is my new go-to method now for large quilts. I used to hang them, but for super kings and my old body it doesn't work anymore. * the link will come up with a map of the USA, just scroll down!
I have not needed the large binder clips - my arthritic hands can't use them anyway! I use the black and orange tipped workshop clips but you can even use pins. The "tutor" calls skewers "skurrs" which provides some mirth, but the idea is a good one!
I watched this video a while back and was tickled by her saying "skurrs" and then at the end I think she said her children corrected her? or she said her children said she was saying it incorrectly? Anyway, good info if you want to go that route.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:22 AM
Banned

I don't have any room to sandwich a big quilt so the last one I did I took down my design wall (flannel backed tablecloth tacked to the wall) and used the wall. I used painters tape to tape the backing to the wall, then the batting, then pinned the top to the backing/batting. It worked great. No wrinkles or puckers as everything laid flat against the wall.

Cari
Old 10-04-2015, 11:55 AM

This is a struggle for me too so I will be watching this thread and checking out links. I use my living room floor and its getting harder and harder. I like the basting spray but I think it cost adds up for me. I have tried the school glue one time with luck. I just bought a gallon jug of the glue from Amazon and I am going to use this method the next few times and see how I like it.