Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sandwiching quilts >

Sandwiching quilts

Sandwiching quilts

Old 10-05-2015, 01:16 AM

I use the Sharon Schamber method. I do take my quilts up to the church where i can use the tables pulled together. They also have an office chair on wheels that i roll side to side as i baste it.

if you hand quilt, be careful not to get blobs of glue - you can't quilt thru those.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:03 AM

I use my cutting table. I have one like they sell at JAF that the sides fold down. It's never collapsed, though! I also use the big office binder clips. I do the traditional backing fabric wrong side up; smooth and clip all around the edge of the table. Lay down batting, smooth and re-clip and same with the top. I do this regardless of quilt size. If it's big (and they usually are - it's rare that I make anything less than bed-size quilts), I center everything as best possible and start in the middle. When the center section of the quilt is all pinned or thread-basted, I then just slide the whole sandwich side to side/end to end until the entire piece is basted. It can be a bit tedious walking around the table that often but it beats the heck out of crawling around on the floor. Besides, I don't have that much open floor or wall space anywhere in the house to be able to do things differently.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:11 AM

I layer my quilts at my quilt work-day once a month. We meet at a library and put the long tables together and go from there. I iron my backing well, starch lightly and then tape it to the table with painters tape smoothing out all of the wrinkles. I then use spray baste to add my batting, again smoothing out all hints of wrinkles. Repeat with the top. I have had absolutely no problems with spray baste. For really large quilts I very lightly pin but generally no pins at all. The time and frustration I save with the spray baste far out weighs the cost. I also watch for sale of the baste or 50% coupons. I can do at least two mid-large sized quilts per can and often 3. For $7 - 8 bucks that is a bargain in time and picking out wrinkles. I would give it a try!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:13 AM

I have watched a couple of her other videos - she is the one who created the "Edge to Edge Quilting on your Embroidery Machine". She is very good - and fun! I had not seen this particular video - so thanks for putting it here. Very helpful.

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
http://www.ooipvoi.ru/abcnews/jnke_K...all_Tabla.html

This is my new go-to method now for large quilts. I used to hang them, but for super kings and my old body it doesn't work anymore. * the link will come up with a map of the USA, just scroll down!
I have not needed the large binder clips - my arthritic hands can't use them anyway! I use the black and orange tipped workshop clips but you can even use pins. The "tutor" calls skewers "skurrs" which provides some mirth, but the idea is a good one!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You might check around your area to find a Longarmer who will baste the quilt for you. The cost is quite affordable and it could very well be worth it to your poor knees and back.
My mom does this. Works well!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:23 AM

Love her big table. I sandwich on my "good" dining room table with all the leaves in. Pretty much the same way but I don't use the skurrs. Love the South!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:34 AM

I have a different approach to sandwiching. I think I have tried all of the suggestions, but wasn't happy with them. I don't have a LQS or church to use, so I came upon this idea, and so far, I am loving it. I have a spare bed that is pretty tall and also a spare twin size mattress. I just lay the twin size mattress on the end of the bed and pin my backing across the top, letting it accumulate on the floor. I then spray and lay my batting on top, also accumulate on the floor. Sometimes the quilt is wider than the mattress, but can be moved over and finished. I then spray the batting and add the top. When it is all hand smoothed down, I make a roll on the top and leave it onto the bed, and fold over the part that is pulled up, to start again. I continue until all is sprayed. I finish rolling it and I have taken it to my ironing board to press, but not always. I don't get wrinkles and it is ready to put in my frame. I do hand quilting and this works perfectly, without crawling on the floor. If I have to crawl, it is across the mattress, which is easy to do. Hope this makes sense.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:34 AM

I use a plastic folding table and drape my quilt over it, and glue it in sections with Elmer's. As long as the area I'm gluing is nice and flat it doesn't matter if the rest is rumply. I press briefly with a warm iron as I finish each section so the glue will grab on well enough not to move as I do other sections. I do each side separately - I put batting down and glue the backing on first, let that dry an hour or so, then flip it over and repeat with the top. Then I usually let the whole thing sit overnight to be sure all glue is dry before I quilt it together.

It works amazingly well, and my knees are so much happier now that I'm not crawling around on the floor. I pretty much don't get any puckers anymore at all, which I was still getting with every other technique I tried.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:58 AM

I do large panels and QAYG...that way I can use a walking foot to quilt...my panels are about 25" square and 6 will make a lap size quilt or just add 3 more and have a full size. I like Modern quilting and with only a domestic machine this is the only way I can accomplish it. I spray baste the panels into a sandwich and rarely even need pins. It works great for me. I am also too old to be crawling around on the floor and it hurts your back.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:48 AM

I tape down the backing with painters tape, then smooth the batting out before placing the quilt top. I have not had a problem. I pin baste but on occasion will spray baste or actually, depending on the quilt, I will do both.