Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
school glue for non fusible interfacing? >

school glue for non fusible interfacing?

school glue for non fusible interfacing?

Old 06-23-2014, 12:09 AM

Default school glue for non fusible interfacing?

I have a pattern that calls for pellon 72F double sided fusible. The closest store (a variety store that shall remain nameless) only has the 71F which is one side fusible but I can never find anyone to cut it for me so I gave up. So I'm thinking about layering regular stuff (I have pellon 809) to be thick enough. But only one side would still be fusible Has anyone ever tried using Elmer's school glue for attaching interfacing temporarily? Or would it be better to use something like a thin fusible web (I think I have some steam a seam)? Or is this just a bad idea to even try layering it?

adding that I don't have a local shop to buy it and I would rather not pay shipping just for a couple yards of interfacing.

Last edited by gale; 06-23-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:54 AM

I would say that the fusible web or even spray adhesive would work better than the school glue. If you reverse the layers so that the fusible side of the pellon is on the outside and the web or spray adhesive is between the Pelion then it would give you better adhesion to the fabric.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:22 AM

I made a bag recently and used automotive headliner in place of fusible fleece. I used basting spray to hold it in place and it worked perfectly.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yadroc View Post
I would say that the fusible web or even spray adhesive would work better than the school glue. If you reverse the layers so that the fusible side of the pellon is on the outside and the web or spray adhesive is between the Pelion then it would give you better adhesion to the fabric.
I think using spray adhesive would be a better suggestions than school glue.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:08 AM

thanks! I think I have some spray adhesive (temp kind). I wouldn't even know where to look for automotive headliner. I don't have much out here (rural area).
Old 06-23-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
thanks! I think I have some spray adhesive (temp kind). I wouldn't even know where to look for automotive headliner. I don't have much out here (rural area).
I purchased the automotive headliner at Hancock Fabrics but Joann's sells it also. I took apart a Vera Bradley wallet once to use as a pattern and the headliner looks just like what was in the Vera Bradley wallet.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:02 PM

ok thanks. There's no Joann's or Hancock's here. It's so hard when a "different" project comes up and I don't have the stuff for it and have to either drive an hour to get it or buy it online and pay shipping.