Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilts >

Scrappy quilts

Scrappy quilts

Old 02-22-2014, 06:53 PM

Default Scrappy quilts

I've been looking at pictures of "scrappy" quilts and many of them don't fit my definition of scrappy. When I think of scrappy, it means grabbing whatever is in a scrap bag filled with odds and ends and putting it into the project somewhere. I have seen the term "controlled scrappy," but it seems to me that if you are planning colors and layout, you may not really have a "scrappy." If the definition of scrappy is just using what is at hand, that's one thing. If it means using leftovers from a particular project, that's another. I'm looking at two one gallon bags of scraps from dozens of projects and am thinking of using them to make a couple of strip quilts. But I'm not sure I can randomly put those strips together. It might turn out to be chaotic unless there is some unifying color. I would appreciate knowing what you think about scrappy. froggyintexas
Old 02-22-2014, 07:12 PM

There are no rules and no quilt police. You can define scrappy any way you want, and it may be different from what someone else calls scrappy.

I couldn't put completely random fabrics together. I would have to have some control over the fabrics. That's just me. Do whatever makes you happy.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 PM

It takes a certain sort of talent to do a good scrappy. It's a talent I lack. I'm not good at color.
Rodney
Old 02-22-2014, 07:20 PM

Your definition was the same as mine - more than once I watched a lady on "Simply Quilts" pull scraps out of a bag and then sew them to another random piece. And I did try it a couple times - but always would change a piece if I didn't like it. Maybe it's a control issue with me - because I have seen others and thought they were beautiful.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:39 PM

I have no problem just pulling out strips to make a strip quilt, I might look at the block and think it could do with a strip of yellow for example other that that it is just as it comes.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:40 PM

I love my scrappy quilts. I use random colors that are quickly pulled out of a basket. But I also use a solid neutral to help hold it together. I have also used several cream colored neutral batiks in a scrappy batik. I have grown away from using "all color" in a quilt. I think the eye needs to rest.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:46 PM

Froggy have you seen the scrap quilt show here on the board? There are some wonderful scrappy quilts posted there. And Bonnie Hunter is a queen of scrappy quilts. Recently I resumed working on two scrappy postage stamp quilts (PSQ) which I am using fabrics from my stash and fabric from the many postage stamp swaps I have been involved in. I would consider both of the PSQ scrappy.

I recently saw pics of another truly wonderful (imho) quilt that I would call scrappy and planning to make. I have already begun to gather the fabrics for. It is the Maple Leaf Rag quilt by Sara Fielke, Sara Fielke used no repeat fabrics in her quilt. I will strive to do the same.

But in the end, I would think that scrappy can be what each quilter defines for themselves with their own artistic eye. For me I would define a scrappy quilt project as one where I have used a variety of uncoordinated fabrics, to include a plethora of colors, a variety prints such as 30's repos, modern , traditional, novelty, neutrals, solids, stripes, blenders, batiks and everything in between to create my masterpiece.

And I will have most likely included in my scrappy projects some fabrics purchased from local & online stores, yard sales, estate sales, swap fabrics, scraps from other projects, gifted fabrics, stash fabrics, fabric from clothing I once loved & deconstructed, memory fabrics I kept of others.

This is my idea of scrappy.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:46 PM

I love scrappy quilts!!! I am a fan of what I call grab and go scrappy. As long as I do not grab the exact same fabric, I sew them together!! The only thing I do is obviously separate the light colors from the rest!! I have decided that I really like this method! Whatever you decide is scrappy to you go ahead and try! If you really don't like it, donate it!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:47 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

i begin with scraps.. all sizes.. cut them with my go - which die will determine the size of scrap. ill utilize ever scrap from less than a FW to selvage strips.....

when my tubs of specific sizes cut are getting full i sew.. i have sqs from 2x2 all the way up to 10x10 ( including half sizes)... small and large tumblers, 3x6 bricks, 4.5 Triangles, strips from 1in all the way to 5in.. including half sizes..

ill make crumb quilts with the leftover crumbs of 1/2 hst and up..

Scrappy to me means anything that once was scraps turned quilt using a variety of colors ...
Old 02-22-2014, 08:51 PM

When I decide to make a totally scrappy quilt, I grab an arm full from my scrappy tub and just sit and sew the scraps together. I don't pick and choose or think about it, I just reach into the pile. My last scrappy was so much fun to make.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t228155.html