Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scraps- how small is too small.

Scraps- how small is too small.

All quilts come with some scraps but when do you say this is too small to keep? Also do you square up odd shaped pieces or keep them as they are? I have several bins of small pieces I'm not sure are worth keeping.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Blog Entries
    I have the same issue. And this is my solution: I cut a 2 1/2" strip from any piece with length. Any thing else I cut 2 1/2" squares. I'm not really a scrappy quilter but I might make one some day! Or I will do a PIF here on the board
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

When they are an irritation to use and/or store, rather than giving you pleasure.

When I get down to the remainder of a piece of fabric I cut it into 2.5" squares. Less than that is out of here.
    I won't live with scrap bags and boxes, that would seriously drag me down mentally.

Blog Entries
    Check out Bonnie Hunters use of "crumbs". If this is not for you then pass them on. I love making quilts out of others "trash" fabric. http://www.quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml
    Last edited by erstan947; 01-03-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Power Poster
    It is time to go to www.quiltville.com and find the pattern for the Spiderweb quilt. I have been working on mine for couple of years and you can use quite small pieces at the end of the triangles. I keep my papers next to my scrap bin and if I just have a few minutes I can sit and sew a couple of blocks.

Hi, I've been trying (when I finish a quilt) to cut my scraps into useable sizes and store in plastic shoe sizes containers. I have a 1", 2", and 2 1/2" and then larger. I don't plan to make a crumb quilt so I don't keep anything smaller than 1". I do draw from these containers when paper piecing. Good luck. This is really a mystery as what to save.

Blog Entries
    everyone here has given you exncellent suggestions. My scraps were becoming so overwhelming, I chose to go through and cut mine all down into squares. It took me quite awhile to get it all done and organized. But, I absolutely love it. Now, a great friend of mine gave me all of her unused/scrap fabrics to use before we moved to Oregon. I have at least 3 eighteen gallon totes to go through and organize. I love scrap quilting, so this is going to be a Fantastic project for me. This time though, I am just going to do it off and on.
    Brenda

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I chose to only go to a one and a half inch square as my smallest. It is just totally a choice.
    Brenda

I make 2.5 inch strips,a few 3/4 inch strips from the smaller than 2.5 inch remains for corded bowls-the rest is out of here.I am ok with neat precut strips but I am not ok with jumbled up piles of wrinkled messy shapes.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Log cabins are my favorite, with 1" finished logs, so I can use strips that are 1.5" wide. I'm thinking about doing the next one as an offset log cabin, so one side will have strips that finish at .5". That means I can use 1" wide strips. I don't cut everything into strips though, because there are other patterns I might want to make. The last one I made used squares cut at 3.5" and 3".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast