Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scraps- how small is too small.

I have just been inspired. I have a scrap bin that is now overflowing. I am going to cut all my scraps into usable 1 inch squares and then I am going to make a scrap quilt with all my left overs. I love the scrappy blocks made in the crumbs quilt. I love this quilt board. Can't believe I have not found it earlier. Thanks Ladies and Gents
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

NO scrap is too small. Use the tiniest scraps for postcards, chop them up even smaller and use them in confetti applique where you arrange them as you wish and then cover with water soluble material and then sew the heck out of them so that everything is fastened down securely and then wash to dissolve the water soluble stuff for interesting 3-D effects. Fun and easy. Makes lovely postcards, small appliques, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gabeway View Post
    All quilts come with some scraps but when do you say this is too small to keep? Also do you square up odd shaped pieces or keep them as they are? I have several bins of small pieces I'm not sure are worth keeping.
    Someone the other day gave a link to a lady named Gail Hunt. She does "confetti" wall quilts. Thats what I am doin with mine.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Anything smaller than my hand gets thrown away.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have a lot of scraps to organize so I just started cutting mine into 3"4"5"and 11/2"strips 2"strips and some smaller strips that I piece together for strip blocks but the smallest I do is 1 1/2" blocks for postage stamps. Anything smaller is tossed into a box and when I get it full there was a lady on here that uses scraps for dog beds for kennels or the pound or something but I don't remember who you are so if you see this pm me who you are.
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White.
    Deb

http://www.quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml

I went to this site and had a heck of a time finding the Spiderweb quilt. I looked around for quite a while and then found it. I printed it out and then went out of the site to see if I could find it again. Couldn't! Then I looked again and found a list of quilts at the right side of the home page, quite a way down the page. There is the list of quilts in alphabetical order. That way I got back into the Spiderweb site.

I don't cut up my scraps. If I would have them cut into squares, how would I make a string quilt of any kind? I cut up scraps as I need them. With confetti quilts, sometimes the piece is just a little too small. Maybe a half inch of triangle is missing at one corner. You'd be surprised how much it takes to fill in that half inch! The piece needs to be at least one inch. But I cheat sometimes. The smaller my pieces are, the smaller I make my seams. Many of my scrap quilts have 1/8 inch seams in many places.

I love using up my scraps.
    Happy scrapping!
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
    Check out Bonnie Hunters use of "crumbs". If this is not for you then pass them on. I love making quilts out of others "trash" fabric. http://www.quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml
    Now this is what a cal a scrap quilt, that's the way I make them. no waste
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

The smallest I go is 2" squares and 1.5" strips or strings. My favorite sizes to cut are 5" and 2.5" squares and 2.5" strips since they all play nicely together so I do that first and work down from there.

Odd pieces can be used in paper piecing and in applique. I keep them at about one inch or so.

this is what I do, I have about a hundred paper strips 2-1/2 inches width. when I have a few small scraps I paper pieced them on the strip in a crazy quilt sort of way. I then used the strips as sashes on quilts. I take the paper off last.

1 1/2" squares are about as small as I go!

Blog Entries
    It depends on how much I like the fabric and how much I have left. If I LOVE the fabric, I keep every scrap down to 1" - otherwise, I keep anything that can be used with a spiderweb design from short and squat to long and skinny.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

You can just start sewing scraps together and eventually have a crazy quilt. The only scraps too small to save would be those YOU don't want to sew.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    I have several sizes that I am cutting from scraps - 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 2.5 x 5, and 4. Three of them are being saved for a scrappy quilt I want to make and I only cut one or two from each fabric so it will be very scrappy. I love Bonnie K. Hunter's site and have several of her books and have made five or six of her quilts.

One summer, I took to my bins (about the size of shoe boxes) and anything smaller than a FQ went into a paper grocery sack. It took me awhile to go through them and I took that bag to our beach house that summer and pressed, cut and stacked my little squares that I cut - I ended up making four or five queen size quilts from that bag and all I had to purchase were borders and backs.

Right now, 5" or more is left alone til I get to it. I'm making a batch of 2" & 2.5" squares out of anything that I can only get that size out of, anything longer than that, I'm just cutting into 2" or 2.5"strips so I can cut them to size as needed. Anything at least 3/4"wide x 4" or more I cut into the widest strip I can (doesn't have to be a particular size, just the widest I can get) and put it in my narrow strip bin to use for string quilts. If it's too small for a string or a 2" square, I put it into a bin of smalls to use to make some pieced fabric. This site shows an easy way to do it.
    http://www.15minutesplay.com/p/tutorials.html

One of our guild members takes anyone's scraps to a retirement center where the ladies will make quilts with them. So I give me scraps to them, because they can perform miracles with my scraps which I would not be able to do.

I am given lots of scraps that I cut into strips of various widths. I used to cut a strip or two of ten different widths from each fabric if there were enough to do so. I have revised my cutting to start with the widest strip that I can cut and then the next widest, on down the scale. I start with six inch strips cut with my six inch wide ruler. When I finish the six inch cuts, I start with five inch cuts. This goes down from 6, 5, 4.5, 4, 3.5, 3, 2.5, 2, and 1.5 strips. I cut as many pieces as I can from each fabric with no regard to straight of grain. After cutting a large amount, I sort by size and color. Next, I sew like widths and color end to end. After sewing, I roll right side out each strip and place a pin in the end of the roll. I used to put all colors in one roll, but I discovered that I prefer to have one color family in each roll. When I want to make a string quilt, I take out one color of rolls and start making a quilt similar to the jelly roll quilts from side to side. I used to make them length wise, but I found that width wise was much easier. I vary the widths of the strips in each row of the quilt. I changed to cutting the larger strips first because after years of making these quilts, I finally realized that it was far faster to use wider strips than small one and a half inch strips. I make the quilts about 42 inches wide and from 42 inches to 72 inches long, according to which group needs them most. There are many things that could be done to these quilts to enhance them........cut into blocks, triangles, etc........but I prefer to leave them just as strings. Occasionally, I will applique something to the top to make it more kid friendly. With the rolls ready to go, I sometimes piece four or more tops in an evening. Pieces too small for me I give to a children's art group.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2