Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seem ripper the right way. >

Seem ripper the right way.

Seem ripper the right way.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a look-see.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Oh she must be a QPO(quilting police officer), no laws or rules here. I use mine how ever the need calls for it to be used. Some time I rip, tear, pick, sometimes I use my toes and teeth to help hold the fabric. Wonder if thats ok in the the book of rippers?
I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair.... If the QPO ever have to come to my house I will be in for a long time.. LOL
Old 10-02-2011, 01:28 PM

Went to a quilting retreat one time and they gave out these little package cutters - key chain things... you push on a little button and a small blade comes out. We were shown how to take a seam out using them much like using a razor blade. She also showed us how to use a rotary blade much the same way. I still like cutting every 3 or 4 stitches on one side then pulling the thread on the other like in the video. It seems much safer.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:30 PM
mim

The bottom (bobbin) thread is usually a bit looser so it may be easier to slide the ripper under it. I also find that I turn the ripper on its flat side to slide under easier. I don't do it by opening the seam because it makes so many tiny threads and tende to pull the fabric.
Mim
Old 10-02-2011, 02:01 PM

I can't watch videos on my slow internet connection. :(

I learned during a quilt class to rip out every 3rd or 4th stitch & then pull out the bottom thread.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by carrieg
I can't watch videos on my slow internet connection. :(

I learned during a quilt class to rip out every 3rd or 4th stitch & then pull out the bottom thread.
That is the way I have the best luck without damage to the fabric, and the thread comes away cleaner. I use a piece of tape turned sticky side out to remove the little threads left behind. Or sometimes just putting on the quilting gloves and brushing over them will take them off. I have a small vac that sits by my machine so I can also vacuum them up, but if you are not careful with the vac on the edge you can make it ravel.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:00 PM

I was taught to open the seam, take out a couple of threads, slip the ball on the ripper under the threads and "let 'er rip". The sewing teacher made it look so easy. I usually ended up ripping the fabric. I think the You Tube demo is the best way to go - after pulling the back thread, I turn the fabric over and take a piece of scotch tape and press it over all the lose threads, pull up, and viola! No messy little pieces of thread flying around.