Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seem ripper the right way. >

Seem ripper the right way.

Seem ripper the right way.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:49 PM

When you can't find the ripper, the scissors are hiding....hey, there is usually a willing steak knife, lol. I admit to resorting to that once or twice.

My mother was an excellent seamstress, but she still had items that needed ripping. I am an excellent ripper, and don't take criticism of my technique well....so sewing police of all kinds, take note, lol....I am armed.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:03 PM

yes- don't cut yourself or the fabric- best apprach go to the sie of the fabric you can see the stitches best and use the seam ripper to cut evry 4th one or so- when you're near the end you will find the thread from the other side is till entact and can easily be pulled out- less stress on you and the fabric- I use a large lit magifying lamp for smaller stitches- by the way- if you get a new machine with a seam ripper as an accesory it is referred to as a button hole opener- apparently the term seam ripper was either too violent or meant you weren't perfect
Old 09-18-2011, 12:33 AM

Personaly I think your friend needs to feel special. Using a seam ripper is like using any sharp tool, carefully, and any which way it works for the person.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by mythreesuns
This is how I was taught to do it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5XK-eEpAaQ
Wow!! Great way to remove stitches!!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:08 AM

I do it this way as well. I used to try the slicing thru the stiches but always managed to cut the fabric. Now that I am ol..oops, I mean more mature. I have more patience.

Originally Posted by mythreesuns
This is how I was taught to do it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5XK-eEpAaQ
Old 09-18-2011, 07:27 AM

I got a pair of the squeeze sissors with the slightly curved blades from Nancy's Notions. They are for machine embroidery but found by accident they are great for seam ripping. It works best to lay your piece flat on a hard surface like sewing cabinet or table. Hold the sissors in your hand side ways and slip one of the fine points under a stitch and squeeze and snip do every three stitch unless I have put the stitch count way up for the beginning or ending of a seam. When you have snipped the top stitches turn it over and slip point under bottom thread and pull and it will all come out. Then use blue painters tape to take out the remaining little pieces of thread. I love those sissors as I have some problem with my hand joints and all I have to do is pick them up and squeeze and not take time to get my fingers in the holes in the handles. My very favorite sewing gadget and I guard them, DH knows not to touch them. LOL When doing hand sewing I put them on my neck strap so I don't have to keep reaching for them. I bought a cheaper pair once but the tips were not the same curve and points were to sharp to use this way.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Oh she must be a QPO(quilting police officer), no laws or rules here. I use mine how ever the need calls for it to be used. Some time I rip, tear, pick, sometimes I use my toes and teeth to help hold the fabric. Wonder if thats ok in the the book of rippers?
Toes and teeth - now that is really putting 'your whole self' into your work! LOL
Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 PM

I saw a lady use what she called an epilattor. It looks like a pen, has a small shaving head. Available at WalMart or Walgreens in the shaving dept for about 10.00. It was quick and then she trimmed her eyebrows. But I'm with bjnicholson. That's the way I learned way back 1/2 century ago, and then quickly check to see that mom didn't hear.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Dee

I really didn't know there was a right or wrong way.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bonbonary
For long seams, I use the foot of my sewing machine to hold one end of the seam, then hold the end toward me with my left hand. My right hand pushes the ripper toward the machine. Because the fabric is held tight, you can just zip through the seam quickly. For smaller pieces, I would rip them out like in the video.
Wow.....great idea Bonbonary......I never thought of using the machine as my gripper when you need a third hand.

I do use the small rotary cutter as someone else also mentioned.....couldn't be without it now that I was shown to use it.....but gotta be pretty careful.

Pat