Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Self healing?? Olfa rotary mat

Self healing?? Olfa rotary mat

Does anyone know what to do with your mat to help heal it? I can only remember someone saying to soak in water. After I squared up some quilt squares and cut in the same place several times, I think I ruined it. Help out there if anyone knows how to fix. Thanks
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Power Poster
    Are there fibers stuck in the slices that are not allowing it to heal? Someone suggested to use a giant rubber eraser to remove any fibers stuck in the slices. I usually find after the fibers are out the Olfa mats do seal themselves fairly well. Others do say to lay the mat in the bottom of the tub with tepid water if the matt is too dry. I believe the soaking method is for the plain flat mat and not the revolving kind.

Yes, use an "ART GUM" eraser to remove the stuck fibers. The revolving mats actually can come apart, top from bottom and then put back together. It a mat is left in the sun or a hot place they will warp. Some stores will replace them.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    What did you use to cut your fabric? I find that exacto-type knives cause more of a "groove" in the mat than most rotary cutters. Also are you pressing too hard if you are using a rotary cutter? Perhaps a change of blade is in order if this is the case.

Washing your mat with mild detergent and a plastic scrubby should be all the "care" you need for your Olfa mat.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

I have an older cutting mat and I use the "art gum" method to clean it up every so often. Works like a charm!

here is a method of cleaning a mat. Also some tips on flattening a warped one.
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I find useing a sticky tape to help pull out the fibers to be effective. I save the sticky wrappers used on some fat quarters just for this purpose. But I do know that using a dull blade in my cutter really reduces the life of my mat.