Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Selling at Christmas Bazaar >
  • Selling at Christmas Bazaar

• Selling at Christmas Bazaar

Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 AM

You don't have much time... When I was part of the Ruth Parker Guild in Tacoma, WA..we started in January, making items for the Dec Christmas Bazaar...and the stuff left from the last one...we took to the April Bazaar....it was a continuous process. about 7 or 8 of us making things to sell...and 4 months was cutting it close for the April Bazaar. I am currently making things and putting them back for the Waylon Jennings Birthday craft sale that is part of the WJ birthday celebration here in our small city. The city puts on a small parade, craft sale, lunch is sold, music, etc. I know I won't sell much...mostly it will be to show my work.
    Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 AM
    Power Poster

If you make fabric items for the microwave you have to use the batting made to be used in the microwave. Some microwaves are more powerful then others. One minute in a powerful one can start a fire with the wrong batting. 100% cotton has scrim (a very thin layer of poly. Unless it says no scrim it has scrim.) A fast warm up probably wouldn't matter but when baking a potato for 5-6 minutes, it could start a fire with regular batting.
    Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 AM

So many great ideas- for craft shows or holiday gifts!!!!! How about gift card holders? So many people give cards now for all occasions instead of gifts. Also Tea Wallets for holding specialty tea bags. There are many free patterns on the web. Neither costs much to make. I've also seen wrapped clothesline spirals as mug coasters and baskets. For personal giving how about matching mugs and mug rugs?
    Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    If you make fabric items for the microwave you have to use the batting made to be used in the microwave. Some microwaves are more powerful then others. One minute in a powerful one can start a fire with the wrong batting. 100% cotton has scrim (a very thin layer of poly. Unless it says no scrim it has scrim.) A fast warm up probably wouldn't matter but when baking a potato for 5-6 minutes, it could start a fire with regular batting.
    The microwave potato things was discussed in another thread a week or so ago. My personal feeling is that I would NEVER risk buying something like that. You can assume it was made with the proper batting, etc. but how do you really know till you put it in your microwave? To me it is not worth the risk of fire, and maybe a lawsuit if it did cause a fire. You never know these days how people are. I use paper towel around my potato and it works just fine, then I use it to wipe my hands afterward.
    Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 AM

I put my potatoes in a zip lock bag & leave partway open for steam, stick it a couple of times with a fork and then microwave. No problems for me. My mother would always wrap in Saran wrap, poke holes & bake. It's much easier with a bag.
    Old 11-18-2011, 01:51 PM

I guess what you bring/sell depends on where you are, geographically.........and the price. We just did a local craft show......my daughter makes pumpkins out of the flexible exhaust hose used for dryer.....and I made tablerunners...autumn and wintery ones...We priced reasonable and they sold........as I walked around looking at other booths that had sewn things......prices were high and no sales.....People who go to craft shows are either looking for bargains or looking for ideas to take home and copy.....that is just my humble opinion....and wow did we see a lot of jewelry booths!!!
    Old 11-18-2011, 02:11 PM

You might want to add mug rugs to your list.
    Old 11-19-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    I guess what you bring/sell depends on where you are, geographically.........and the price. We just did a local craft show......my daughter makes pumpkins out of the flexible exhaust hose used for dryer.....and I made tablerunners...autumn and wintery ones...We priced reasonable and they sold........as I walked around looking at other booths that had sewn things......prices were high and no sales.....People who go to craft shows are either looking for bargains or looking for ideas to take home and copy.....that is just my humble opinion....and wow did we see a lot of jewelry booths!!!
    How true! I have been selling the microwave bowl warmers made with Warm Tater batting. I am very careful to state that it is made with this batting and leave a piece of their paper with their info as well. People will buy one to copy then come back looking for where to get the batting! Lots of them!!
    Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 AM

I did my first craft fair and sold lots of aprons, table runners, potholders and cassarole carriers.
    Old 11-19-2011, 06:15 AM

I have had good sales with smaller "pot holders" actually cup mats. I have made some of them out of left over quilt squares. Our buyers do prefer items at lower price level.