Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sergers

I am new to quilting and have a Singer sewing machine I use. it works fine until I am ready to baste the quilt. I have been told a Baby Lock serger would work better for fabric once you have pinned your fabric and batting together for basting. Does anyone have any recommendations for BabyLock machines?

Blog Entries
    Hello, and welcome from Idaho!
    There are a lot of brands of sergers, it doesn't really need to be a Babylock. Just my opinion.

Blog Entries
    I don't see how a serger would work for basting...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I don't see how a serger would work for basting...
    I agree. I have a serger and wouldn't even think of using it to baste a quilt. I would much rather use 505 spray or basting pins. If you do use a serger, there would be too much room for shifting on the inside parts of the quilt. I don't think this is a good idea.

Welcome to the board! You'll find lots of information and inspiration here! :D

The only time I use my serger is when I have it all quilted and am ready to bind. I would never, nerve baste with a serger....

Serger for basting?

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    The only time I use my serger is when I have it all quilted and am ready to bind. I would never, nerve baste with a serger....
    ditto

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bleontuk
    I am new to quilting and have a Singer sewing machine I use. it works fine until I am ready to baste the quilt. I have been told a Baby Lock serger would work better for fabric once you have pinned your fabric and batting together for basting. Does anyone have any recommendations for BabyLock machines?
    I don't know how you are going to baste with a serger. It finishes a seam but isn't going to hold your inner parts together. I have sergers and never use them for quilting. You can serge the edges but I don't like doing that because it flattens the edge and then when you bind it you don't have a nice puffy bound edge. I love using my serger to bind the edges of fleece to make great throws and blankets for my bed.