Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sergers...How useful are they?

Do you own a serger? How often would an ordinary quilter use such a machine, and how do you use it in your quilting? Just curious here.

I use mine every time I wash fabric - I serge the cut edges, and no raveling :D

What a great idea. I just got one. I will have to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    Do you own a serger? How often would an ordinary quilter use such a machine, and how do you use it in your quilting? Just curious here.
    I've owned a serger since the early '90s. I've serged everything from unlined jackets to lingerie. Now, that I'm into quilting exclusively, I have made more than 10 reversible quilts, and plan to make more. Love my serger! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltntime
    I've owned a serger since the early '90s. I've serged everything from unlined jackets to lingerie. Now, that I'm into quilting exclusively, I have made more than 10 reversible quilts, and plan to make more. Love my serger! :thumbup:
    You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but how does a serger help with reversible quilts??

I use mine when i was fabric too like Roben does. I also use it when sewing.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Roben
    I use mine every time I wash fabric - I serge the cut edges, and no raveling :D
    Me, too!

I don't use it for piecing, but I do use it for other sewing.

It's really nice for finishing edges of things like bags, totes, and purses.

I've had my serger since the mid 80's and love it. I have a Juki 4-thread. I use it for hemming pants, altering shirts or t-shirts, other repairs. No actual quilting because it would be too bulky in my opinion, but I would be lost without it. I keep it at a 90 degree angle to my sewing machine so all I have to do is swivel.

I use mine when I hem my dh jeans, so much easier to hem.
    When I do mending, on a seam, or when I take loops or ties out of a garmet( I dislike them totally). When I am doing crafts, making bibs with ribbing, before I wash fabric, serge the raw edges, then you always know what fabric has been washed and not. When I have a towel that unravels, when, I can go on and on.....Bought mine in 94 and would buy another if needed.

I too have a serger. I make the kids pj's and such with it alot and it's so fast and easy to use. As far as quilting, I can't say I've ever used it for that. I know some people do and have seen some really pretty serged quilts.

Ok - I have had a serger since 1983. When my kids were small, I sewed/serged all their play clothes, sleepers and swimsuits. Yes I did say swimsuits. My daughter was on a swim team and I could not afford a new $69 suit every year. I made her a new swim suit every year from a Stretch- n - Sew pattern that was great.

I am on serger #2 now. I now have a 5 thread Viking which I love. Now that I am not making kids clothes, I use my serger for finishing quilt edges before I bind them, serging edges of fabric that will other wise fray and general maintenance of fabric. If used on cotton I would use a three thread and a longer stitch length. It would also be great on a baby quilt which would receive lots of washing. Some folks do quilt with them - I am not sure that I would like the extra bulk in a cotton quilt-top but I would not hesitate to use it on fleece. I have also used it on wool and flannel.

I love it and would not be without it.

I have a pattern for serging quilts. Haven't done it yet

Blog Entries
    I made one quilt on my serger. Whether you like to serge quilts or not probably depends on the type of quilt you make. I had difficulty getting seams to match exactly, and the extra thread in the seams made them all bulkier.

The fuzzy quilt that I just did I serged, it isn't a pieces quilt. I don't normaly use my serger to quilt with. it is really handy if you are doing bags and such as it finished off the edge of the fabric as it sews.

I will have to look into finding patterns for it I guess, I have used it for a lot of other things.

I have a serger, it's had many, many hours of working, although not so much anymore, since I started quilting. Absolutely love it.

I love my serger. I've never used it for a quilt top - only bags, fleece jackets, tablecloths and occasional repair jobs on clothes. I know I can utilize it more, I've just never taken the time.

I love using my serger! Ther is a quilt store that has a new class that AI am thinking of taking. The teacher is very talented and has a terrific storyboard of all the stitches that can be done with it.

I have used mine for many years and it has held up so well. (babylock) I would never be without one now.

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    There are sites out there showing how to make quilts with a serger. Have you seen them? Very interesting!
    I'm going to have to check those sites out, Loretta. I always figured the quilt top would not lay flat if it was serged, but I'm positive there are ways to work around that.

Oooh. Thanks!

I'm glad to find this thread. I was given a Babylock serger and needed ideas to get me started using it. I thought I remembered seeing a serger quilt pattern, but hadn't tracked it down. Thanks for all the ideas and the link for the pattern. My MIL was so generous to me, but there are so many wonderful things that she gave me at once it is overwhelming. Not that I'm complaining. I'm just thinking I may have to quit work lol ! :D :lol:

I bought a Husky 936(?) several years ago and broke it in real good before my first class. I thought how bad is it. Just sit and sew, right? Some church group ask me to make some angel costumes for Christmas. I agreed, then I saw the fabric. The pattern was a medievel style (princess cut)dress with the sleeves hanging to the floor. I can do this- I think I will like the challenge, then they brought the fabric. Dear Lord, I think I need your angels. The fabric was bridal satin and the sleeves were (sorry cannot think of the proper name so I will describe it) a gauzy slippery see through fabric. I made the first dress on the sewing machine then the other FOUR on the serger. The church absolutely loved them. Boy did I get thrown in to the deep end. Been using the serger since then on everything.
    Get between me and my sewing machine and you may get ran over. Get beween me and my sewing machine/ serger and life as you know it will not be the same.
    Lesson I learned, always ask all the right questions so I am not blindsided anymore. Another lesson I learned, if the instructions say to thread A first the B, DO NOT attempt do do it any other way.

I have a mini serger that I bought at Walmart years ago. Was a great price, was on clearance, so I figured, why not? Have never used it, hmm....I should take it out and play with it, huh?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but how does a serger help with reversible quilts??
    The reversible quilts I've made was by Kaye Wood, "6 Hour Quilt" pattern.
    It's basically a log cabin quilt where both sides are sewn or serged at the same time using the 3-layer reversible sewing and quilting technique. The quilting is all done as the strips are added, so no additional quilting is needed. You can make it any size, just add the binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    I want to thank you too. I've serged several modified rail quilts, but never looked for a site exclusively for serging.

Quote Originally Posted by saravincent
    I've had my serger since the mid 80's and love it. I have a Juki 4-thread. I use it for hemming pants, altering shirts or t-shirts, other repairs. No actual quilting because it would be too bulky in my opinion, but I would be lost without it. I keep it at a 90 degree angle to my sewing machine so all I have to do is swivel.
    You might want to try using a Low Loft polyester batting. I find the batting lays flat, with very little bulk.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast