Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sergers...How useful are they? >

Sergers...How useful are they?

Sergers...How useful are they?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
Gail it is, you just stick about on inch of thread in the hole, connect the tubes,(press a button and turn the wheel to line it up) then press the leaver and it blows the thread through the looper, repeat for the other side as well and you now have the loopers threaded, easy as anything, there is no tension disks either, so threading the top threads are a matter of following the arrows and then there is a needle threader as well, no more with the tweezers etc making sure that this is over this and under than and coming out in the right are, one of the best things is as well if I break a thread, doesn't matter what order I thread so can just rethread and continue, some machines are very particular that way. No more tying ends and running them through, rolled hem is remove the one needle, turn one nob, change stitch length and start sewing. and since there is no tension on it, you can go from three 4 layers of denim straight to organza and not touch anything but the foot peddal, was it more than the juki I also have, yes by a lot, but for ease of use, it is worth it if you can afford it. (when I bought it they said I can serge with ribbon, I want to try it but haven't had a chance yet. )

Barbm, just mail it to me and I will foster it for a while.
To die for. I've seen those demonstrated and my DD has one. I just wonder if I do enough serging to justify the cost of one of those things. When I was garment sewing, I wouldn't have blinked an eye to get one of those, but now........I don't know.

And Barbm, get that thing out of the box and crank it up. :lol:
Old 07-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

It totally depends on how much you will use ot for sure, the thing is the easier it is to use the more you will use it, there is not sense getting a machine that frustrates you just to look at it, it will sit there gathering dust. When I get a chance, I was requested to do a tut on the quilt I just did on the serger, there are several patterns that you can do on it that are more designed for the serger.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:55 AM

Oh Buns, I'd like that.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

Chances are it will be a doll size quilt, just to give the directions, start gathering denim and flannel if you want to do it the way that I am going to, old jeans etc are good, they are going to be cut into strips, the more variation in color the better, and just a bunch of flannel scraps, they will all be cut into strips, doesn't matter how long they are really, as long as they are wider than the seam allowance.

be on the look out next week maybe, I am doing a tut today (I hope to get it posted,) on another request.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:54 PM

Let's see, what did I use my serger on so far this month?
1) Edges on a little hand towel and hotpad set for the kitchen toys for my granddaughter.
2) Cut off excess leg length on dress jeans for my son, serged the edges, than used the regular hemmer on my regular machine. The serged edge gave it a smoother edge because I didn't have to turn it under
3)Tote bag. Quick and easy.
4)Tapered the waist of a t-shirt that felt too baggy.
AND the month isn't over. I don't think there has ever been a very long time that I DIDN'T use it!