Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sergers...How useful are they? >

Sergers...How useful are they?

Sergers...How useful are they?

Old 07-24-2009, 03:47 AM

I just purchsed my first as was always runnung to the neighbours to hem pants or mend for the kids.
Gale
Old 07-24-2009, 11:17 AM

I have a New Home MyLock 4 thread with differential feed. I've had it for years & love it. Be sure you get one that has nothing in the way of threading the needles. I use mine for a variety of projects - rolled hems for napkins, with the blade disabled it makes a ruffled effect on sweatshirts and my favorite is an easy baby or child's quilt done in 6 inch strips where you sew together front, back & batting in one step & when it's finished you're done unless you want to bind it rather than serging the edges too.

Betty
Old 07-24-2009, 07:43 PM

I am still trying to learn to thread the Babylock serger a co-worker gave me, but it works perfectly once I get the four threads loaded.
Now if I can just find four cones of thread in a color that works with everything and never breaks or runs out, hhhmmmm. :?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 PM

Just tie the new thread to the threaded one & stitch on a scrap until it gets to the needle.
Betty
Old 07-25-2009, 05:35 AM

A serger is the best machine for sewing knits of any kind since sliced bread.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:39 AM

It's good to use neutral colors. I started with white, cream, beige, the greys and black till I got the feel of my machine. Then I began using matching colors. Have you tried making lace on your serger? You can also insert a zipper. And all you thot it did was finish seams.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:02 AM

Well, my impression is this - if you quilt, you don't need a serger. If you do other sewing projects, particularly clothes, then it's a helpful addition to the sewing room (or in my case, the dining room!!).
Old 07-25-2009, 07:54 AM

The nice thing about the baby quilt I mentioned is with the serger, you end up with perfectly trimmed & sealed 1/4 inch seams (2 layers of fabric with batting between). So no worry of threads or ravels showing thru the lighter fabrics and can withstand lots of washing.
Betty
Old 07-25-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by eparys
Originally Posted by Quiltntime
Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Do you own a serger? How often would an ordinary quilter use such a machine, and how do you use it in your quilting? Just curious here.
I've owned a serger since the early '90s. I've serged everything from unlined jackets to lingerie. Now, that I'm into quilting exclusively, I have made more than 10 reversible quilts, and plan to make more. Love my serger! :thumbup:
Ok - I have had a serger since 1983. When my kids were small, I sewed/serged all their play clothes, sleepers and swimsuits. Yes I did say swimsuits. My daughter was on a swim team and I could not afford a new $69 suit every year. I made her a new swim suit every year from a Stretch- n - Sew pattern that was great.

I am on serger #2 now. I now have a 5 thread Viking which I love. Now that I am not making kids clothes, I use my serger for finishing quilt edges before I bind them, serging edges of fabric that will other wise fray and general maintenance of fabric. If used on cotton I would use a three thread and a longer stitch length. It would also be great on a baby quilt which would receive lots of washing. Some folks do quilt with them - I am not sure that I would like the extra bulk in a cotton quilt-top but I would not hesitate to use it on fleece. I have also used it on wool and flannel.

I love it and would not be without it.
I, too did the Stretch and Sew swimsuits. Also used the patterns for dance costumes.

The only serging I've done on quilts (other than serving fabric before washing) is the Kaye Wood 6-hour quilt.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

I have had my serger for probably 16 years. I use it mostly when I sew garments or tote bags, barely for quilts, maybe not at all, although I am thinking, it would make my pieced backings stronger.
Since I never got into learning how to change tensions to make decorative stitches etc. I don't use it as much as some, but...what I do use it for is great.
It gets a fraction of use, compared to my other machines, but i would buy it all over again. My humble opinion? If you garment, home dec, sew, go for it. If you only quilt sew? spend your money on fabric. :D