View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 12:39 PM
GailG

Originally Posted by eparys
Originally Posted by Quiltntime
Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Do you own a serger? How often would an ordinary quilter use such a machine, and how do you use it in your quilting? Just curious here.
I've owned a serger since the early '90s. I've serged everything from unlined jackets to lingerie. Now, that I'm into quilting exclusively, I have made more than 10 reversible quilts, and plan to make more. Love my serger! :thumbup:
Ok - I have had a serger since 1983. When my kids were small, I sewed/serged all their play clothes, sleepers and swimsuits. Yes I did say swimsuits. My daughter was on a swim team and I could not afford a new $69 suit every year. I made her a new swim suit every year from a Stretch- n - Sew pattern that was great.

I am on serger #2 now. I now have a 5 thread Viking which I love. Now that I am not making kids clothes, I use my serger for finishing quilt edges before I bind them, serging edges of fabric that will other wise fray and general maintenance of fabric. If used on cotton I would use a three thread and a longer stitch length. It would also be great on a baby quilt which would receive lots of washing. Some folks do quilt with them - I am not sure that I would like the extra bulk in a cotton quilt-top but I would not hesitate to use it on fleece. I have also used it on wool and flannel.

I love it and would not be without it.
I, too did the Stretch and Sew swimsuits. Also used the patterns for dance costumes.

The only serging I've done on quilts (other than serving fabric before washing) is the Kaye Wood 6-hour quilt.