Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewig Machine >

Sewig Machine

Sewig Machine

Old 11-12-2010, 05:01 PM

My daughter-inlaw is looking for a new sewing machine. Her spending money is limited and I thought all of you would have great advice. What would be a good machine for a new sewer with limited funds?
Thanks
Old 11-12-2010, 05:07 PM

I'd do a search on Craigs List and buy a nice, second hand machine if I had a very limited budget. You may have to wait a while but there are lots of machines that come up, at least on my local CL. Or visit a dealer and ask about gently used trade-ins.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:08 PM

I bought a Brother from Wal-Mart for 199.00. It came with extra feet for quilting including a walking foot. It's electronic and it has a button for start and stop if you don't want to use the foot pedal. (Love that) I'm a new quilter and this works great for me. When I get more comfortable with quilting I'll up grade. There are others on this board who also have this machine and have had no complaints about it.

HTH
Old 11-12-2010, 05:25 PM

I love my start/stop button. I just discovered what it was for recently after having my machine for a couple years ... yep slow i know LOL
Old 11-12-2010, 05:27 PM

There are lots of threads here with many, many suggestions as to what is a good machine. We all have basic ideas, and you will get lots of good answers!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Power Poster

I would consider a vintage machine, perhaps a Singer Model 201, 301, or the 400 or 500 series. They're available for very little money (look on craigslist), they last forever, and they don't require expensive maintenance. Look for one that is in working order if you're not able to do repair work yourself.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:28 PM

I bought my daughter a Janome DC2010. There is just enough "computer" to have a needle down option, several needle positions so adjusting for accurate seams is easy, some decorative stitches (I can't remember how many but 50 pops into mind), makes 3 different one step buttonholes, etc. I used it to repair some of my son's jeans this summer and was very happy with the way it sewed. (Since I sew with a Pfaff I'm a little spoiled.) The price was really very reasonable.