Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Basket >

Sewing Basket

Sewing Basket

Old 12-21-2016, 02:30 PM

I gave my DGD a sewing box and fabric for her b-day. DD gave her an old machine -- we have one very happy 10 year old. I just wish she was closer so she could sew with me. I'm giving her some beginning books for Christmas.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
wonderful gift. When my son was about 9, i got him a tackle box full of sewing 'things'. He also talked me into buying a good machine for myself, and letting him have the old one. Smart kid!

Is he still sewing?
Old 12-21-2016, 03:45 PM

I'm so lucky to be able to sew with one of my granddaughters -- this year she made pj pants for her family. Now she wants to sew a blouse. She is so busy with other activities that when she asks if she can come up to sew I will change my schedule to make sure that happens. A sgift sewing basket is a wonderful gift for your granddaughter.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:05 PM

A friend of ours moved to the Chicago area to go to college. So I put together a sewing kit with needles, pins, safety pins, scissors, threads, measuring tape, etc. Her mom didn't sew and hadn't even thought about it. She said she was one of the very few girls in the dorm that had one so others were forever borrowing it. After she graduated, she went into missionary work and she said she takes it with her everywhere.

I used my mother's items so I would have loved one of my own when I was 9 years old. When I had to take home-ec there was a kit you had to buy, my mom thought it was silly since she had bought 2 kits before (for my 2 older sisters and they took them off to college) but the quality of the items weren't that great and most girls were never going to use it again. She said she would have preferred items separately and get only what people need.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

I'm doing one for my granddaughter now who is going away for college. But I'm filling one of the larger Namaste sewing cases, not a big sewing basket she has to find room for. It will hold all the basic sewing tools. These cases are very hard to find now!
Old 12-22-2016, 04:33 PM

What a wonderful gift!!!