Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Advice >

Sewing Machine Advice

Sewing Machine Advice

Old 06-08-2011, 06:05 AM
LDB

I have a very moderately priced Brother machine that has served me well. Still works great, but it is a very basic machine. I have been thinking of upgrading slightly to another moderately priced machine which has a knee lift and an automatic thread cutter. Don't need all the bells and whistles offered by some of the high end machines (but they sure are pretty), just something a step up from very basic.

Suggestions? Thanks!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:11 AM

I am wondering the same thing. I have a brother CS-6000 and I think I'm going to get a Janome from my quilt store but I don't know which one. I would like one with a bigger throat so I have more room for quilting but I would like to have all the cool things I have with my brother still. quite the dilema.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 AM

I would highly recommend the Janome 6500P. It has a 9 inch throat, is a real workhorse and has plenty of bells and whistles such as thread cutter, needle up/down, plenty of decorative stitches. The 6600P is the next model up and they will tell you the dual feet is the greatest thing since sliced bread, however, I don't care for it. I find it takes less time to put a walking foot on than to deal with how cumbersome it is to use their dual feed. Not as user friendly as the Pfaff or Babylock dual feed.

Anyway, you can buy a new one for around $1000 and find used ones for around $600. Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:42 AM

I second the Janome 6500, its my backup to my Horizon. I actually love both.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I actually recommend anyone looking to buy a new machine to go and try out every machine that they can, every brand every model. and find one that suits them, I can sit here all day and promote my favorite machine, but that doesn't mean that it is the machine for you. If the dealer is a good one and wants your buisness they will let you play for a long while, Bring your own scraps etc, and put the machines through the paces you want it to do.

Heck bring some simple blocks and do some piecing while you are at it.

it is really the only way to find out if the machine is the one for you.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 AM

I have a new Juki 300-----it has two thread cutters-a button and one on the foot pedal......It is super easy to
run, has lots of great stitches.....It had a great price on it as well---some of them come with a knee lifter, I got mine extra as the place I bought from gave a 100.00 gift certificate.....Not many feet with it that is the only drawback
but I am managing ......Rita
Old 06-08-2011, 11:12 AM

I agree with this. Also check who offers free classes with their machine. Which shop do you like best? And what is their turn around time for servicing. I love my Pfaff but will probably not buy another anytime soon. I love my Bernina too and their customer service is so much better! That could end up being opposite in your town though.

Originally Posted by cutebuns
I actually recommend anyone looking to buy a new machine to go and try out every machine that they can, every brand every model. and find one that suits them, I can sit here all day and promote my favorite machine, but that doesn't mean that it is the machine for you. If the dealer is a good one and wants your buisness they will let you play for a long while, Bring your own scraps etc, and put the machines through the paces you want it to do.

Heck bring some simple blocks and do some piecing while you are at it.

it is really the only way to find out if the machine is the one for you.