Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Want advice on a new sewing machine

I'm a newbie here although I've been reading this board for a few mobths and think you are all wonderful! I've learned so much already.

I've been making quilts using a White sewing machine. I think I'm now ready to take the plunge and buy a much better machine. My local machine shop has a Vikimg Sapphire 850 on clrerance for $1299. I can also get an intergrated sewing platform for half off for $600. So my total cost would be $1899 plus tax. He's giving a tax credit until April 16th that I can use for sewing supplies or accessories.
    I would really like to strat machine wuiltining. I've been trying it on my White and it's not easy to move the fabric through the throat.
    Is this price a good deal? it seems like it to me.

I think you should check out other machines, make a list of what you would like on a machine. Don't buy the first thing you see. You never know what else is out there. As far as the price I do not know anything about this particular machine so no advice on that from here. Marge

I don't know anything about the particular machine you are talking about, but, I know for machine quilting the largest the throat opening, the better and easier to quilt on. My Juki TL98QE has a 9" throat and I quilt queen size quilts on it, will be quilting another next week. So look at the throat szie before buying any machine, and wear gloves with rubber nubs to make moving the quilt around easier. Just my opinion.

That is a wonderful machine and a great price. They retail in Canada for $2100 when not on sale. One reason for the great price is that Husqvarna Viking Sapphire has updated that series of models to the 835, 855 and 875. The newer edition has a few changes but is not that much different and they are definately made for quilters. Check the available features carefully to get the model that you need. I know that the only the 870's have the automatic thread cutter which is a feature that I really like but it may not be that important to you. Take some cut fabric to the store and sit with your intended machine and make a block of two. You'll soon be able to determine if this is your new sewing partner. Remember that it will take time to get used to some of the new features. This particular machine for example has no lever to raise or lower the pressure foot (step on the foot pedal and watch what happens). This is machine that you will enjoy and I think it is good value for your $ but try it first.

I paid 1100 for the 830 when it was new and it dosnt have the embroidery like the 850 so I think it is a good price.

I want a new one, but I do not have a huge price range to be able to afford that much money ... still trying to decide what all I want in a machine ...

nice machine , good price, I have Viking Designer 1, and 1+. I think they are worth money. love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyKat
    My local machine shop has a Vikimg Sapphire 850 on clrerance for $1299. I can also get an intergrated sewing platform for half off for $600. So my total cost would be $1899 plus tax. .
    $1299 is an okay price for this machine. What is the integrated sewing platform???

More important than price is whether your dealer services the machine and gives classes on it. Do they service the machines there, or send them to Viking corporate? The Sapphires are computerized, and while they can sew beautifully it's well worth it to have a dealer you can rely on when the going gets tough.

I'd rather spend more and buy from a good dealer than get a good price and find I have no support. You might want to check other machines, too, testing them with your own fabric - for piecing and for machine quilting.

Janet

I have the new 875.... HEAVEN is all I can say!

I bought my Sapphire 870 about two years ago; it came with two classes that I can repeat at anytime, thank goodness! Originally, not wanting to spend such big bucks, I'd bought the Sapphire 830. Hated it. Didn't do much more than my old BabyLock. So, I returned it and spent the money to upgrade to the 870. Much better machine, definitely made for the quilter.

As Shelbie said earlier, there's no pressure foot lever. DROVE ME NUTS!!! Almost returned the machine. I could never line up the fabric correctly for that quarter inch (I used to slightly lowering the 1/4" foot and using the edge to position the fabric.) Then someone said to me, "your machine has a throat plate with metric markings. Why not order a new plate with inch markings?! Did not know I could do this! Ordered one, got it about a month or so later.

Now, with the new throat plate and by using the needle to position my fabric, I'm good to go. The needle technique I figured out on my own -- pressure foot up, slide fabric underneath it, use the hand wheel to lower the needle just above where you want to sew (very handy when doing applique where you're not using a 1/4" seam). Now I'm happy.

One more point, the 870 (and whatever model now replaces it) has automatic tension. That, as Dawn says, is HEAVEN!

I'm also not familiar with an integrated table thingy. Do you really need it for that price? Why not forgo the table and apply the money to a better machine? just a thought...

Best of luck with your purchase.

Blog Entries
    That sounds like a good price to me. I have the Sapphire 850 and I love it. If the integrated quilting platform is the Fab-U-Motion system I'd give it a good try before you buy it. I have it but am finding I can do just as well with FMQ.

for machine quilting the largest the throat opening, the better and easier to quilt on.
    The Sapphire 850 has a 10+ inch throat.

Blog Entries
    I would check out different machines

I'm not sure exactly what the "integrated sewing paltform" is really called...I just remember the word integrated. I would definately need to go back in the store with fabric and try it out. I got to play with it a little. It holds the quilt section you are FMQing while you move the platform around for FMQ. You control the speed by how fast you move the platform so you can slow way down when stiching a tight curve or speed up when you want to just by the speed you move the platform. I thought it felt easy to use but he said it may take a little while to get used to it. The shop services all types of sewing machines and has been in business for over 25 years. I have a friend who bought an 830 there a year ago and she says there aren't any lessons with it but it's quite easy to read the manual and figure it out. I didn't see the 870 there so I'm going back to look some more. I can't afford a Bernina and he said the Pfaff is owned by the same company as Viking (can't remember who bought who out) and essentially they have the same features. Thanks for all the rsponses!

Blog Entries
    I've been lusting after the Babylock Espire for 2 years now, but it just doesn't fit into my current budget. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I love my Janome 760 for classes and have a Pfaff that I use at home. Both are great machines. Good luck

You might want to look at the Janome 6600 before you do anything....it's a fabulous machine, easy to use, good size throat, smooth operation, quiet....does just about anything! I am in love with mine, and so are several in my quilting group.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    look around a little, for that kind of money you want to make sure you get whats best. Penny

I have the 830 and love it. I'd really like to have one with a larger throat but they're out of my price range until I hit the lottery. Please don't waste money on the Fabu-motion thing--it sucks!!! I got one and used it maybe 3 hours. The area is too small and you spend all your time repositioning the quilt. The machine has tension sensing so you don't need a walking foot and you can do FMQ (well I can't yet) easily without that thing. The machine has so many features for the price that I'd get the same one again. I agree about service-the LQS where I got mine does the service and has classes for Viking users. Good luck on whatever you choose. I think that's a good price on a new Viking.

Blog Entries
    I am researching a new machine as well because my latest Pfaff and I do not get along. I have a list of must haves and some want to haves and go by that.

One good place to find out info is on www.patternreview.com You have to register but they have a free option to join. You can read all the reviews by users of the machine. Just so you know, I checked in real quick and there are more negative comments than positive at first glance.

In that price range, you can check Janome 6600, Brother NX450 (I think), and the one I am most likely going to get Babylock Quest Plus (or the Quilter's Choice is real nice too). I cannot recommend the Pfaff any longer because I am very unhappy with it.

Isn't machine shopping fun?

BTW: I never pay what the dealer quotes me without checking around first. I always check MSRP and generally start haggling at the 30% off mark. I also check various dealers and get quotes from them. It is a lot like buying a car.

Example: Dealer 1 quoted me $1,299 WITH trade-in. Dealer 2 quoted me @1,299 without trade-in and an additional $1OO off coupon special.

I have a Saphire 870 and love it! I had to order the sewing platform extra and it was expensive, but is very large and makes sewing a joy. I too had to adjust my needle position when using the 1/4" foot to 0.3 in order to get true 1/4".

Blog Entries
    I own a Viking Designer SELE . It sounds like the 'integrated platform is the FAB-U-Motion. They came with the 'stitch regulater' and without. Mine has the regulater. For the price you are being quoted, I would suspect that that one has the regulater. Having recently inquired on the price of the Saphire, I think you have a a good quote there, also. BTW, VIKING bought out PFAFF and SINGER a couple of yrs. ago...Hope this helps. Jinnie
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyKat
    I'm not sure exactly what the "integrated sewing paltform" is really called...I just remember the word integrated. I would definately need to go back in the store with fabric and try it out. I got to play with it a little. It holds the quilt section you are FMQing while you move the platform around for FMQ. You control the speed by how fast you move the platform so you can slow way down when stiching a tight curve or speed up when you want to just by the speed you move the platform. I thought it felt easy to use but he said it may take a little while to get used to it. The shop services all types of sewing machines and has been in business for over 25 years. I have a friend who bought an 830 there a year ago and she says there aren't any lessons with it but it's quite easy to read the manual and figure it out. I didn't see the 870 there so I'm going back to look some more. I can't afford a Bernina and he said the Pfaff is owned by the same company as Viking (can't remember who bought who out) and essentially they have the same features. Thanks for all the rsponses!

Quote Originally Posted by pam remick
    You might want to look at the Janome 6600 before you do anything....it's a fabulous machine, easy to use, good size throat, smooth operation, quiet....does just about anything! I am in love with mine, and so are several in my quilting group.
    This is the one I want, and on sale you can find it for $1200. :wink:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    I'm interested in this machine too but it doesn't have a free arm, but anyway, the dealers here want from $1700-$2000 for it. Why is it that NC seems higher priced than anywhere else :( Even when I say that other states or even board members get them cheaper they say nothing or roll the eyes...

[quote=Crafty1]
    Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    I'm interested in this machine too but it doesn't have a free arm, but anyway, the dealers here want from $1700-$2000 for it. Why is it that NC seems higher priced than anywhere else :( Even when I say that other states or even board members get them cheaper they say nothing or roll the eyes...[/quote

Is there a quilt show in your area? They usually have the best prices. Yhere is a local shop here that if you ask they will match the show price so you purchase from them. I have a back up machine so a I am not concerned with a free arm.

I suggest you look at PFAFF - you will pay a little more BUT the IDT means you dont need a walking foot and their 1/4" foot is scant.....picing matches every time! I will never go to anything else now and I have owned 4 different brands over my lifetime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast